1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vibration Troubleshooting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration Troubleshooting?

So, I did lots and lots of searching, and I found out all kinds of information about Durango's that I wasn't really looking for. After several hours of fantastic reading - I decided to just post my own thread and ask for help.

My Durango has a vibration, a very specific vibration, and it has done this as long as I have owned the truck... Which is only about 3-4 months now.

The vibration happens at 55MPH, almost exactly, and stops at 65MPH. It is worse at 55MPH than 65MPH... And any speed below 55MPH or above 65MPH and the vibration is not present.

The vibration happens in a straight line, around corners, accelerating, deccelerating, braking, coasting... It does not change in volume, pitch, or harshness.

The truck rides quite smoothly most of the time, but just between 55MPH and 65MPH, the whole truck vibrates. The dash rattles and hums, and it's more just annoying than anything else. My wife asked me what it was, and I don't have an answer.

The steering wheel does not shake, the wheels are not out of balance, I even had them re-balanced just to make sure.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bad U-joint.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I will have a look this weekend... And by u-joint, I presume you mean driveshaft u-joint?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
selkov
Rookie

U joints normally are apparent at lower speeds 40-50. Also at around 20-25 if you lightly tap the gas {causing the D to lurch} normally you will here the joints Clank. My 04 suffered the same issue from day 1. Dealer ended up replacing the right rear axle shaft. that took care of it. With the car in the air and a GOOD wheel with no tire mounted on it run the car at 25 MPH and you can see the wheel HOP.

JMHO.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I don't know if it's relevant... But I do sometimes feel a "clunk" when I press on the accelerator - after coasting for a while, or being at a complete stop. It feels like it's coming from the rear axle.

I also feel a "clunk" almost a split second after coming to a stop.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:43 PM
selkov
Rookie

Ujoints

Old 06-19-2011, 03:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes the U-joint on the main drive line. Check the U-joints and a vibration at certain speeds like you said "but just between 55MPH and 65MPH, the whole truck vibrates" sounds like a classic U-joint. Check the rear and the front for a bad one.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I drove 400miles (round trip) this weekend for a friends wedding... And I vibrated like a bastard all the way there, I tell you what, it was mighty annoying, and it has been raining cats and dogs for 2 weeks... I have no garage, so I haven't been able to inspect the u-joints yet.

Mercifully, the drive back was much better, the vibration was only present between 55-65MPH and I drove back at 75MPH the whole way, smooth as could be.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ya,

It sounds like a classic U-joint. I had one do that and I was trying to make it home (800 miles) in a Ford Ranger and the vibrations finally got it's way because the marriage ring between the trans and T-case broke in half.

Long story short, don't let it go or it will cause major issues.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

It's gorgeous out there today... I'll crawl under and inspect it on my lunch break at work.
How much roughly should new u-joints be?

Quick Reply: Vibration Troubleshooting?