1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 durango r/t need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Monster_X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 02 durango r/t need help

just bought a 02 durango r/t i love the beast ive noticed it has very poor acceleration no codes seems to shift fine but when i try and give it gas its slow to accelerate any clues or things to check care idles beautifuly runs great to any help would be greatfull

Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

First thing I would do is clear out the computer and give it a fresh start from the beginning.

Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer.
Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.
Second thing is make sure you're not on your first few tanks of gas still because it could just be the lack of quality gasoline that the truck doesn't like. Also, check the air filter because a dirty/clogged air filter can wreak havoc on the air/fuel mixture. Next, take the air hat off and see what the throttle body looks like because it could be it just needs a good cleaning!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Monster_X

did the reset filter was clean and throttle body was a little dirty but ive seen worse .. i cleaned it as well it helped a little but not much i did notice i do have an exhaust leak under the truck somwheres before the muffler and converter it would seem could that cause some acceleration issues ?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Monster_X

well my cat was partally clogged i had that replaced so no leaks .....probolem still presists .. i noticed the rpm on my tac move slow on mashing the gass never passing 4 grand just slow gradual acceleration .. i also hear a light ticking when its cold from underneath not lifter tick and it only does this on acceleration not in park ... is quiet as can be ... it goes away after driving for 30 seconds ... but durring this time it stumles like its ganna stall and rpms drop im at a loss i dont want to take it to the dealership if i dont have to

Old 06-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Monster_X
Thumbs down and the saga continues

ok im ganna report back fixed some and still need help with others i did a full tune up yes champion plugs .. gapped correctly threw out the bosch plat 4 truck drives great ..but only after its warmed up if it sits for a good while ill fire it up and it seems to idle a bit iffy and when i try to drive it it starts sputtering sounds like a misfire and i hear ticking and start bucking ..sounds like its coming from drivers side if i dont try and mash the gas it will stall but it will fire back up when i mash the gas it wit sputer and jerk bad then take off and usually fine after that i quadruple checked for vac leaks and made sure the wires were on correctly .after that she purs like a kitten im stumped and i thank all who take the time to read threw my post and headache if any onee lives close and could check it out for me and give me ideas that be awsome im pickin my brain out im in saginaw michigan oh i took it to the dealership as well they said feul pressure and that was good said i may need a pcm or a tune up tune up done i refuse to believe that i have no codes just one small but annoying issue every pcm i ever had go bad it would not run ... ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! ok sorry done venting plese help me

Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

I don't want to be an ***, but that post was exhausting to read. I gave up half way through. Please break up your thoughts with some punctuation.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

Did you reset the computer

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Monster_X

yes i did .. it really runs good rite now but at a cold start if i sit and idle i will stall ... and if i drive it sounds like a miss it spits and sputters ..give it gas it continues to do sputter almost stalling out while flooring it ,it then will lurch forward and drives normally no ticking nothing

Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

do you run good gas sounds like a fuel pump or injector how many miles does it have

Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Monster_X

i run sunoco 93 grade i have a 109k i doubt its feul pump had those go out before not the same symtoms .. if it were an injector you think the dealership i took it towould notice it

Quick Reply: 02 durango r/t need help