1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

It's been about a month since buying it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 PM
mvoss2576
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been about a month since buying it...

So.. it's been about a month since selling my 2007 Silverado and buying the 99 Durango to cut payments and save money..
Since I've had it, I've put about 2000 miles on it, and lots of fuel...
My mechanic has looked at it twice, and after lots of fuel injector cleaner and Sea Foam, he is pretty confident that the ticking sound is carbon buildup, and nothing else.

I've replaced:
  • Front brake lines @ $22 each
  • shocks - Sensa Tracs @ $44 each
  • a sway bar bracket and bushing @$32 after shipping
  • rear brake/speed sensor (not sure if it's helped yet or not) @ $25
  • PCV Valve @ $3
  • Spark plugs @ $16
  • Distributor cap @ I think $11
  • Rotor (I dont remember)
  • Spark Plug wires ( Don't remember)
  • Headlight bulbs with supposedly brighter Silverstars...ehh.. not impressed. ($40)
  • Front control arm bumpers ($55)
  • Radio $130

Still have to replace
  • Front Rotors $32
  • Brake pads $35
  • *possible caliper..
  • Tires (Dont even want to think about it..)

I would LOVE to put a lift on before I buy tires.. but it just ain't happening. The tires on it are 7+ years old and really bad, and I am going to attempt a 1600 mile round trip in about 2 weeks..so yeah.. tires are a priority right now.

Somehow, I dont think I'm saving money here....

Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

One question... where are you getting front rotors for $32 because the cheapo auto parts brand are like $42 a pop at that.

Also, what do you mean when you say possible caliper?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM
mvoss2576
Professional

Rotors might have been more... but I thought thats what I paid at Advance Auto..I might be wrong.
I don't know if I'm replacing the calipers yet or not. The boots around the piston are torn, but so far they seem to be functioning.
I just got in from replacing the rotors and new pads... all I gotta say is DANG! I had to take my sledge hammer to bust the old rotors loose... The 110 degree heat didn't help any.

Apparently replacing the brake sensor on the differential wasn't my problem with the ABS/Brake lights.. it comes back on as soon as you hit the pedal and are moving... and there is NOTHING anti-lock about them right now... I found that out when testing the new brakes.. good thing I'm replacing the tires soon..

Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 PM
mvoss2576
Professional

Yes, the rotors were $32 each... WearEver brand.. Advance Auto parts stores, Part No. YH14514, I just checked my receipt.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

The tires on mine were $500 for the set I think, thankfully they were less than a week old when I bought the truck. Only issue I had was that the power steering pump died right away, $100 plus the belt and I can't remember what that cost. Sounds to me like the one you got just had some wear parts reach their expiration date. I haven't had mine too long yet, but Dad bought one 2 1/2 years ago, a 99 with I think about 120,000 miles on it, and it really hasn't needed anything yet. The shocks really should be replaced though.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 PM
mvoss2576
Professional

Yeah, it is all pretty much wear items.. but some of it could have been prevented if the previous owners had taken better care of the suspension/engine. I'm not trying to make it like new, but I need it reliable..

Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well when people are thinking about getting rid of something maintenance is the last thing on their mind.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM
mvoss2576
Professional

Just got some new BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO 31x10.50-15's on.. wow.. what a huge difference over the 7 year old General All Terrains that were on there. No more road noise, no more vibrations...so nice to drive.

It's no Cadillac by any means, seeing it is a 4x4... but I think my 1100 mile (one way) trip will be bearable now... except for the cost of fuel.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By my math filling in the "I forgot" prices, you have spent $600. Some of those prices are really low too. On one hand, for all of that $600 isn't bad. On the other, cheap parts often leads to early failure thus needing replaced again.

+1 on the statement above that when the seller decided well before actually selling the D that they were getting rid of it, they stopped any maintenance services a long time ago.

How much did you save by getting rid of the truck? In short time, hopefully you will reach break even and pull ahead for a while until the cheap parts hold out.

IndyD

Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 PM
mvoss2576
Professional

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
By my math filling in the "I forgot" prices, you have spent $600. Some of those prices are really low too. On one hand, for all of that $600 isn't bad. On the other, cheap parts often leads to early failure thus needing replaced again.

+1 on the statement above that when the seller decided well before actually selling the D that they were getting rid of it, they stopped any maintenance services a long time ago.

How much did you save by getting rid of the truck? In short time, hopefully you will reach break even and pull ahead for a while until the cheap parts hold out.

IndyD
Well, I cut my payments in half, and my insurance went down about $50.. Not to mention, a lot of the parts were bought with 'profit' from the sale of the truck.
I understand what you are saying about cheap parts, and I realize that, but better to have a cheap functioning part than one that doesn't work at all.. and by the time they start going out, I won't be replacing a lot of parts at once (I hope).
I just put the new tires on, and I shouldn't even add that to my expenditures list, because the truck needed new ones within a year or so anyway and would cost me a LOT more than these.

So, hopefully in the next month or so, I'll be coming out ahead....minus fuel.. I sooo didn't realize the mpg was so bad on these.

Quick Reply: It's been about a month since buying it...