1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I need help identifying a noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stShewolf
Just got back from the garage and the news is not good. First off let me say that it really pisses me off when a mechanic dogs my vehicle for twenty minutes on a "test drive". At 3.59 miles per dollar no less.

So, according to Evil Knievel, my whole rear end needs to be rebuilt. He said that the axle gears are wore out, the pinion and bearing are wore out and the locker is wore out. He surmised that the rear end had been run dry at some point and that "they just put any old oil in it". Bear in mind, he never even checked the oil, I did previously and I cannot verify the weight of the oil but it is sure smells like rear end oil. He also said that the transfer case was shot. I don't know how he came to that conclusion, my mind was stuck on "the noise you hear when you really get on it and turn sharply to the right"....

Sorry if I sound miffed, just not been a great day.

Long story short, they wanted to do an 80 dollar dif service knowing that it was going to be a waste of $ for me. I told them thanks but no and made an appointment instead with the guy that re geared my 62 Ford F250 so it is going there on Monday morning and I will get his opinion and let him build it.

I will update with the end result.

Sounds like evil knievel is slow and trying to drum up business

Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep,

Classic *** hat mechanic there! At least they didn't sucker you into that crap.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:57 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

+2(or 3, w/e we are up to) that mechanic is a thief glad you didnt fall for his BS

Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM
1stShewolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the latest.
I took the Durango to a guy that only works on rear ends. He test drove it and said it sounds like either a wheel bearing went bad and wore out the axle bearing or vice versa. That caused the pinion gear to tilt slightly which is the noise I am hearing. He said it would probably need a new carrier bearing and hopefully the pinion is salvageable. This was his opinion on a 1 mile test drive. It goes in Tuesday so that he can tear into it and get it all fixed up! YAY. He also said that if the pinion is still useable and that it may still make some noise, not much, but that it would be fine. Anyway, we shall see.

I will update again when I have more info. I appreciate all of the input from you guys.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:04 PM
1stShewolf

BTW, for anyone interested, I found a really good page that describes the majority of noises that may be going on in a rear end that might be hard to diagnose. I wish I had found it sooner! Just Google Diagnosing Drivetrain Noise by Randy Lyman.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Now that sounds more plausible then the last *** hat!

The only thing I didn't like was the axle bearing and wheel bearing part because there is only one bearing on the outside of the rear axle, and that bearing is called a wheel bearing. But other then that, he again sounds like he knows rear differentials. Your better off having a guy that only does differential work because those are the ones you want. Regular mechanics either wont touch em or have screwed them up because they are really hard to work on. If you don't get them right the first time it is a HUGE PITA to fix.

Anyway, with that said he should replace all the bearings including the pinion, carrier, and wheel bearings as a minimum. Also he should replace the yoke seal. All of this comes in a master kit and that is what he should have bought because you get a great deal when you buy them in the kit. The kit will also include shims and a crush sleeve. The one I bought for my old 1998 Durango was about $120 bucks or so from www.sixstates.com

So most people mark up parts 100% plus they charge labor, so plan on spending $200 for that kit, fluid,,,,ect, and install.

You mean this.....LOL http://www.4x4now.com/gt0699.htm

Old 08-07-2011, 01:26 AM
1stShewolf

"The only thing I didn't like was the axle bearing and wheel bearing part because there is only one bearing on the outside of the rear axle, and that bearing is called a wheel bearing."

I think he was talking about the bearing on the differential end of the axle, that was how I understood it, but I really don't know. He did say he would use a master kit on it, that it would be cheaper. He also said, which I just remembered, that the posi-trac (spelling) was messed up, probably why it has acted up on the gravel on my rather steep driveway. Anyway, he said he would fix me up, I just hope it doesn't cost a small fortune.

"You mean this.....LOL http://www.4x4now.com/gt0699.htm" yeah, why, no good?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No, I've used that same informative link is all......

Yes what he described is in fact the wheel bearing. It goes on the end of the axle that is inside the axle housing. Now you do not have a Posi-Traction rear differential, there are 4 styles used.

Chrysler Corporate 9.25
Chrysler Corporate 9.25 Trac-Lok (Limited Slip version)

Chrysler Corporate 8.25
Chrysler Corporate 8.25 Trac-Lok (Limited Slip version)

Anyway, I think he was talking about that you might have a Trac-Lok LS rear end and if you do then he is most likely talking about installing new clutch packs, which at wholesale cost is about $100 bucks on top of the master kit. All in all, it just depends on what you got in there.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 PM
1stShewolf

oh, okay. He said that, whatever it is, would prevent me from being able to pull out in the snow. I have a 9.25 rear end, he sounded somewhat surprised when he saw that, said it didn't usually go bad. Anyway, I will know more on Wednesday, he should be into it by then. I am so hoping this doesn't go much over a grand...hard times ahead.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:42 PM
MedfordMan
Default That sound...

I think I'm having the same problem. That sound you talked about -- is it like a whirring/straining sound? I've noticed my '02 4.7 has just started doing this. It happens when I accelerate or declerate, once i'm over like 10 mph. It almost sounds like amplified road noise. I don't know how else to explain it. Almost like the the brakes are on while I'm accelerating. Is that similar to what you are experiencing?

Quick Reply: I need help identifying a noise.