1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I need help identifying a noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM
1stShewolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I need help identifying a noise.

I recently bought a used 1999 Durango 5.9 magnum 4X4 that had not been very well maintained. I noticed a whirring noise coming from the rear and thought maybe it was coming from the tail pipe that had separated from the muffler and was hanging.

So far I have put new tires on it, new muffler, new brake pads, (front and rear). Replaced inner tie rod ends. New plugs, wires, distributor cap and button, changed the oil.

Now, the noise is just that much more noticeable. It makes a whirring, almost rotational noise, usually when I am cruising or otherwise accelerating. The noise stops when I coast...most of the time. I checked the fluid in the rear end, it was full and seemed clean. I am thinking I am going to take it to have the differential serviced and have them pull the cover.

I was told that the transfer case had gone out and the previous owner could not afford to fix it so the guy I bought it from had it fixed, I don't know how much or if any of that is true though. In any case, there is a transmission fluid leak at the seal where the transmission and transfer case connect.

Other than this, everything seems to be okay. Any suggestions??

Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the first generation Durango section,
FF

Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has or had limited slip, its probably destroyed which would make a grinding nose. The problem most likely would be found if the differential was serviced.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me to be a carrier or pinion bearing.. mine had the same thing happening when mine went out.. might be a good idea to get it serviced sooner rather than later as the end result could be ugly as parts fail

BTW, Keep us posted on what was found....

Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To fix the leak between the trans and the T-case you have to remove the T-case and I would replace both the transmission output seal and the Transfer case input seal. Then I would make a gasket between them and fill in the weep hole at the bottom of the transmission mounting face with RTV silicone. It really isn't that hard to pull it out. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

As for the rear end bearing, it sounds more like a Pinion Bearing to me because you are getting a "whirring" noise. Carrier bearings are more of a grinding noise usually above about 20 mph or when turning. I would just install new carrier bearings and pinion bearings. Also check if it is a Limited Slip, if so maybe time to change out clutch packs.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
1stShewolf

Thanks for all of the advice.

Last edited by 1stShewolf; 07-28-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: posted twice
Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 PM
1stShewolf

Just an update. I drove the Durango yesterday, first time since posting, and noticed a new noise. When I pull off from a stop sign and am turning to the left, I hear a wicked grinding noise. I had gone shopping and didn't really notice it on the way to the store but on my way home, I did. There was a good bit of weight in the rear cargo area when I heard it. But, rolling turns didn't produce any noise. Could all of this be tied to the pinion bearings?

Another thing, I am not sure if it is my imagination because I am looking for things to be wrong with it but I could swear that the brakes don't feel right in city traffic. It seemed that they starting pulling to the right and when I was stopped at a light it would require me to pump the brake pedal at least once because it would start inching forward on me with the brake pedal depressed. I have replaced all of the brake pads. I also checked my brake fluid when I got home and it is full so I don't think I have a fluid leak.

My brake light and ABS light were on when I bought it and still is. I checked and noticed the plug was disconnected on the ABS module (CAB) and so I plugged it back in. However, it was inoperable because when you tried to apply the brakes, it started locking up. So I disconnected it again. I don't mind driving it this way for awhile because feel I have more pressing issues to fix. But, could that have anything to do with the spongy brakes when sitting at a light?

I have an appointment to have the differential looked at and will post the findings. I really don't understand how people spend so much money on buying a vehicle and then fail to maintain them. This Dodge has 117000 miles on it and it has soooo much wrong with it.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM
1stShewolf

@ Hydrashocker, I am going to have to have a mechanic do this! I am way to old and to small to attempt it, but I appreciate the instruction.

Last edited by 1stShewolf; 07-28-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: didn't address reply
Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stShewolf
@ Hydrashocker, I am going to have to have a mechanic do this! I am way to old and to small to attempt it, but I appreciate the instruction.

IMHO, Having someone who knows exactly what there doing on the differential is the best way to go. As for the brakes, sound like there may be some air in the system or maybe a small leak that is hardly seen. If it where me i would try bleeding the system and see if that helps. also, when you get the differential looked at, might not be a bad idea to ask them to check the brakes over to double check and for the added piece of mind...

Hope that helps, good luck and keep us posted as im really curious as to what that noise is...

Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 PM
1stShewolf

Just got back from the garage and the news is not good. First off let me say that it really pisses me off when a mechanic dogs my vehicle for twenty minutes on a "test drive". At 3.59 miles per dollar no less.

So, according to Evil Knievel, my whole rear end needs to be rebuilt. He said that the axle gears are wore out, the pinion and bearing are wore out and the locker is wore out. He surmised that the rear end had been run dry at some point and that "they just put any old oil in it". Bear in mind, he never even checked the oil, I did previously and I cannot verify the weight of the oil but it is sure smells like rear end oil. He also said that the transfer case was shot. I don't know how he came to that conclusion, my mind was stuck on "the noise you hear when you really get on it and turn sharply to the right"....

Sorry if I sound miffed, just not been a great day.

Long story short, they wanted to do an 80 dollar dif service knowing that it was going to be a waste of $ for me. I told them thanks but no and made an appointment instead with the guy that re geared my 62 Ford F250 so it is going there on Monday morning and I will get his opinion and let him build it.

I will update with the end result.

Quick Reply: I need help identifying a noise.