1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 durango... oil disapearing!!! no kidding!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
motomax629
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 durango... oil disapearing!!! no kidding!

5.2 4x4 only 114kmi
The truck does NOT smoke.
no visable leaks and my driveway is clean.
The airbox, radiator are clean (normal)
The truck drives fine.
I'am having to add 1.5qts every 1.5 weeks.
any suggestions?!

Max

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles are you driving a day? week? have you done an oil and filter change and seen if it still does? you may not be able to see the oil on the driveway, try laying down cardboard sheets... oil cant just dissapear, its gotta go somewhere...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Brekar
Rookie

You might also check your oil cap. I was losing oil like that when I first bought my Durango, and it turned out to be my oil cap (of course I figured that out last )...

Later...

Brekar...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

This possiblility seems unlikely since you lose so much in such a short time, but...

You could have a blown intake gasket due to the plenum they used on the 5.x's. Take a look down into your throttle body and look for oil, it should be dry. The original plenums were aluminum, so they expand at a different rate than the metal surfaces they mate up against. This causes the intake gasket to separate. To see if you have the original plenum, take a long telescoping magnet and drop in down through your TB. If it sticks to the plenum, then it has been upgraded to an aftermarket metal plenum. If it doesnt, it original. Typically, this would cause you to lose about a quart or so between oil changes... could be more or less though, I suppose.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM
motomax629

Originally Posted by srch4me
how many miles are you driving a day? week? have you done an oil and filter change and seen if it still does? you may not be able to see the oil on the driveway, try laying down cardboard sheets... oil cant just dissapear, its gotta go somewhere...
I drive roughly 60-70 mi a week.
My drive way is white... you can see a flea on it! lol
I just had the oil changed 2000k miles ago

Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM
motomax629

Originally Posted by samnbensdad
This possiblility seems unlikely since you lose so much in such a short time, but...

You could have a blown intake gasket due to the plenum they used on the 5.x's. Take a look down into your throttle body and look for oil, it should be dry. The original plenums were aluminum, so they expand at a different rate than the metal surfaces they mate up against. This causes the intake gasket to separate. To see if you have the original plenum, take a long telescoping magnet and drop in down through your TB. If it sticks to the plenum, then it has been upgraded to an aftermarket metal plenum. If it doesnt, it original. Typically, this would cause you to lose about a quart or so between oil changes... could be more or less though, I suppose.
I did a little research after my org post and one of my mechanic buddies said the same thing about the plenum gasket..
It calls for 5.5 labor hrs... ugh
So that means it will take me 14hrs a case of beer and possible trip to the emergency room (they know me well there!)
So I will take your advice and pull of the air intake and check the TB.
Thanks for the insight!

Max

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yup check the plenum gasket

also check for oil in the coolant (hopefully there wont be any, but you should check)

brekar, what was wrong with your oil cap that it was causing you to use oil??

Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+3 on the plenum gasket.

So that means it will take me 14hrs a case of beer and possible trip to the emergency room (they know me well there!)
Welcome to the family......

Anyway, it really doesn't take that long. I had my 5.9L (which is the same as your basically) down to the block in 2 hours, yes that was removing the heads as well. If I recall, you don't even need to remove the injectors or fuel rail, hell not even the Throttle Body for that matter. You simply remove the wiring harness and clip it up out of the way, remove the fuel line at the coupler (you use a special tool but you can get around it) and remove the intake. Don't remember if you have to remove the valve covers or not, but I think I would.

The thing is, when you install it you need to be VERY careful not to slide it around after you put it down. Use some dowels as a pilot to line the holes up. And remember to put RTV in all of the 4 corners where the new gaskets are touching each other because the are 4.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you plan to keep your D dont just replace the gasket, replace the pan aswell with a one fix step....
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=26190

Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
motomax629

thanks for the hughes engine link.. (very useful info)
Their gasket is $100 more than O'reilly.. hmm
It does have alot of positive reviews, so I guess I will bite the bullet.
If you guy's have any interest I will keep ya'll posted.
I'm thinking about hooking up my buddies G-Tech to it so I can get a before and after result.

Quick Reply: 99 durango... oil disapearing!!! no kidding!