1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Where do I begin!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011 | 10:41 PM
Chris_J
|
Angry Where do I begin!!!!

I have quite a few problems with my 2001 Durango and I cringe at the potential cost for fixing some of these issues if a dealership has to fix them. I have been "losing oil" for awhile with no signs of external leaking and an occasional puff of blue smoke on ignition but none otherwise. I have seen a few things posted that makes me think that could be the plenum gasket, is there an easy way to check if that is the problem or if it could be something else. I am also having issues in the summer when it is hot out with the engine reving up and down whether I am at idle or on the highway. I took it to the dealership and had them check the throttle position sensor and that was fine. There was a code coming from the BCM that they thought might be the problem with the tachometer but they were not certain and at $575 to fix I did not want to put the money into it and end up where it did not fix it. It only does it in the summer and I would think that if it was the BCM it would do it when it was cold out to (and in Norther North Dakota it gets cold!!!!) The final thing that makes me worry some is that when I accelerate from being stopped there is a clicking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front or middle area of the vehicle that I quit noticing at around 15-20 mph(it is hard to tell when driving the exact location). I am taking a trip that is about 750 miles next weekend and would like to fix some of these problems by then so I feel safe. This forum has been great for me for my DIY fixes!!!!

Old 07-30-2011 | 11:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

1)you have a 4.7 the plenum is not a big issue on that engine, the plenum is an issue on the 5.2/5.9 engines.
2) the tps could still be the problem even without throwing a code or 'checking out' as bad i would replace it
3) when you say BCM do you actually mean CTM?? if so i would say dont spend the money bc afaik (i could be wrong as i havnt spent much time with the wire diagrams) the tachometer is controlled by the PCM bus to the instrument panel.
4) the clicking sound could be a lot of different things, try to isolate where its coming from, yes i know that it is difficult but these are large vehicles with alot of parts so the more we can narrow it down the better we can help.

Old 07-30-2011 | 11:31 PM
Chris_J
|

The dealership said it was in the BCM (maybe I shouldn't trust them lol). I have also seen that the intake air control valve could be causing the reving issues or if the plenum gasket is leaking that could cause a vaccum leak which could be the culprit. Are the TPS expensive or difficult to replace, I have a mechanic in the family that probably could do a lot of these fixes. He checked all the joints, drive shafts and tie rods and didn't seem to find anything wrong as far as that clicking goes. She is also bucking at me when driving on the upshift every once in awhile in town and on the highway so I ease off the accelerator and it will be ok. I am begining to wonder if a lot of the problems are related to each other.

Old 07-31-2011 | 08:29 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the TPS could be the cause of the reving and the bucking, as could the IAC, both are mounted on the throttle body and are pretty easy to change, im not sure how much they cost however a quick phone call to your local parts store, or a quick check online should answer that quest.

the plenum gasket is NOT A PROBLEM ON THE 4.7L ENGINE

however a vacuum leak is another thing that could cause some of the issues,

as for the clicking, im leaning towards something in the transfer case, maybe open up the fill plug and make sure its full.

Old 07-31-2011 | 10:02 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
im not sure how much they cost however a quick phone call to your local parts store, or a quick check online should answer that quest.

Depends on where you get them.... local auto parts chain stores or asking 25-35 bucks each but, i have seen them on www.rockauto.com for around 20 bucks each.

As for the Stealership, They would tell you that the purple cow jumped over the moon causing a blinker fluid imbalance that threw the CTM out of wack if they thought the person was retarded enough to accept there line of BS and pay them to fix it... so yeah, dont trust or use them execpt for a few parts that may be better to buy from them rather than an aftermarket OEM part.

Old 07-31-2011 | 03:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Replace the TPS and IAC. Have him take the Throttle Body off and clean the whole thing real good spraying out all the ports and clean the IAC port out real good. An old tooth brush and 2 cans of Throttle Body cleaner should do the trick.

Replace the spark plugs with Champion Copper spark plugs (yes the cheap ones) and have him gap them at .040 before installation. There is no spark plug wires on there just coils over each plug.

Then have him reset the PCM:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.
Next and finally, the clicking sound could be a CV Half Shaft on the front end. Have him check the fluids in the front end, rear end, transfer case, transmission, and oil levels. Clicking can also be a nail in the tire so take it in and have someone look, in fact I bet you will find one.

Quick Reply: Where do I begin!!!!