1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

High Pitched Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
vabear
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitched Squeal

Put on your thinking caps. 2003 Durango 4X2 and 4.7 liter V8. At less than 45 MPH we get a high pitched squeal (not very loud) and it goes away if you put a little pressure on the accelerator pedal (release pressure and the squeal is back). Not lights or codes and it has been with us for several months. Any suggestions gladly accepted. Yes it has been in the shop and all I get back is dunno.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

id look at components that are loaded when you accelerate or provide engine power to keep the vehicle moving, wheel bearings, pinion bearing, ujoints, its really hard to diagnose sounds without having any idea where its coming from (sometimes its hard to figure out even when you are in the vehicle i know)

Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm... have you tried replacing the serpentine belt? thats what comes to mind when you say high pitched squeel

Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if it were dependant on engine speed and did it in park id agree with you srch

Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tensioner and/or idler

Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 indy.. i would go ahead and put a new tensioner and serpentine belt on there... if that doesn't fix it then try the idler as well... my tensioner was all buggered up when i got the car so replaced it and the serpentine belt... just replaced thebelt again after my waterpump had a catastrophic failure and tore it up...

Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

If you do replace the belt, spend the extra $15 for the premium belt. Cheaper belts tend to squeal more.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

Check the belts and pulleys first. Another thing to look at is all the vaccuum conections. A small vac leak can make a high pitched squeel at times.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM
vabear
Professional
Default High Pitched Squeal

Thanks for all the replies. Ball Joints are new and tensioner and belt (DAYCO) changed last year (haven't done idler). Yes it sometime squeals in idle (P) but is short lived so I never get to catch it at idle (guess I need a driver and under hood observer). The noise is similar to an electrical nose but yet not quite. I will keep up the Quest and if I find it before it finds me I will let you know.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vabear
Thanks for all the replies. Ball Joints are new and tensioner and belt (DAYCO) changed last year (haven't done idler). Yes it sometime squeals in idle (P) but is short lived so I never get to catch it at idle (guess I need a driver and under hood observer). The noise is similar to an electrical nose but yet not quite. I will keep up the Quest and if I find it before it finds me I will let you know.

Might sound funny but, next time its sqeeking try and turn on the a/c and see if it lessens or goes away... had a sqeek on my last truck that i could not find and one day i noticed that when i turned the a/c on it stoped, turned out to be an a/c compressor bearing.. like i said i know its sounds wired but, what you got to loose?

Quick Reply: High Pitched Squeal