1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 timing components questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 timing components questions

been looking at a '00 4.7 Durango for cheap with supposed issues behind the timing cover, bad enough to not try starting it for fear of further damage. finding timing chain and other timing components for the 4.7 here in canada seems to be not so easy or cheap so I have been looking on ebay and have seen quite a few people selling timing parts for the 4.7 but not sure if I should buy that kind of thing from ebay or not.

also I see that timing sets can be bought at varios levels of completness from just the chains to full out chains, guides, sprokets/gears , various other bits. obviosly if the guides are not within spec they should be replaced but do you need to replace the sprokets/gears when changing the chain?

edit: also just bought a '02 4.7 HO from a grand cherokee that was suppedly removed because of running rough due to skipped chain bending valves. $60 figured what the heck, intake and cams are well worth it if its actually bent inside. well both valve covers off it seems like the timing marks line up based in what I read here http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/v8/7840.html is having some piston to valve issues as I turn the crank by hand(plugs removed) and I can see at least one valve open slightly through the intake port. seems like it might be stuck valves though, will have to investigate more.

I have previosly worked on a '00 grand cherokee with the 4.7 that had a stuck valve. customer complaint was extreme rough running, weird ticking, and check engine light. history was it had been parked for 3 months and ran fine for 3 days after being drivin again. diagnosis was misfire codes with corresponding zero compresion cylinder and likely ticking was piston taping valve, figured it wasn't going to be cheap to fix anyway so took it for a good long and fast drive to get the valves warm and moving fast enough to hopefully unstick the one stuck valves. worked great, advised customer to use better oil and get it on the highway once in a while to get it hot as they only used it for short trips around town.

Last edited by Blind Monkey; 08-04-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

check rockauto.com i believe they ship to canada (no i would not buy something like that from ebay)

and until you get it opened up you wont know exactly what you need, however i do believe you are technically supposed to replace the sprokets with the chains, however in most cases people dont do that and have o problems so its up to you if you replace them or not as long as they are in good condition.

Quick Reply: 4.7 timing components questions