1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

transfer case interchange

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking for your post now. I edited my post a few times before I posted, I meant to ask how its difficult to operate.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

this thread? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nv-242-hd.html

by pita do you refer to your issues getting it back into 2wd? if so I have only experienced that issue once with a 242 in a cherokee when I had never used a 242 transfer case before. after that I found out the shifter is spring loaded somehow inside the case and I should just shove it into 2wd while moving and then let off the gas to unload the drivetrain and it will shift. never had a problem since.

since I know how a manual shift 242 works and how it shifts I actually had never considered others might have problems shifting it if they don't have experience with it.

I have not seen a 242 in a durango yet, were they available with manual shift or only electric shifted?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

durangos came with manual shift from 1998 through 2000, 2001-2003 got the electronic shifters.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got the 242, but my drive train is regularly maintenance. I like having awd for days when I go from icy to clear roads all day.

Last edited by adukart; 09-20-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blind Monkey
can you interchange the transfer cases between all engine/transmisions available in the 1st gen durango? still looking for another 4.7 for the beater/future parts doner I bought a little while ago but have looked at some other 1st gens recently that have the AWD t-case, thinking if the t-cases can be swapped(assuming manual t-case vs manual t-case NOT manual vs electric shifted) if I find a good deal on an AWD model I can swap my part time 4x4 t-case from my '00 with the dead 4.7.

I hate full time 4x4, waste gas and wear out tires. would love if they had a t-case like the NP242 in my cherokee so I had 2wd normally and the option of AWD.
Ok here we go,

First of I am talking about a NV242 (which is a New Venture) not a NP242 (which is a New Process). These are different T-cases, however have few differences. In the NV242 you do not have an AWD position like what you are talking about. Also a 4.7L - NP242 is most likely to have a different input shaft.

Second, yes you have an extra position, but that position is a locked position like 4LOW, however it is a 4HI. Being that they are locked meaning the front is completely locked with the rear drive shafts and the gearing in the front is 1 lower then the rear it is very easy to get them locked together with axle bind, even when going down the road like your saying. So if it gets locked in and the user shifts it like the manual states the T-case does not disengage even though the shifter is all the way up in 2WD position. The planetary gears stay engaged and cannot separate. When this happens the thing winds up and explodes. Please see this thread for more information: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-exploded.html However I have noticed that he took the picture links down. Here is what happens, however it might not be a NV242.

Now I am making an assumption because of Jeep background that you are thinking that a NP and NV as a typo, however you are meaning the New Process (NP) and we have the New Venture (NV), this is a common mistake from those in the Jeep seen. Here is a link good site, however in one section they tell you to drive in 4PT instead of 4FT, which is a typo as 4PT is designed for slippery conditions ONLY. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np242.htm

Anyway, you could try and take out your R/T Full Time Case NV244 and swap it with a NV242 case and hope it all bolts up. The one issue you might have is the splines and whether they are the same, and I don't know if both of them are 23 splines or not (which a 4.7L is most likely only a 23) and you would have to swap. In my assumption I think it would work, but I don't know for sure. The other thing is that the NV242 is manual shifting and your NV244 is electronic.

Regardless, they don't like to just come out of 4X4 when you want it. Because the last position is the 4PT before it goes into 2WD it hangs up during the shift in the NV242 and that is what you are failing to recognize. Many people have this problem so it's not just a hit-n-miss thing. Hell even after I had mine custom rebuilt by one of the best shops it still did it! This is a normality and there is lots of people that have blown em up.

Now this sounds like some good ideas, but your basing your options on different attributes. It's not going to be just that easy.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 09-24-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional

sorry I got it wrong. cherokee does not have an awd selection, its 4ft. visor sticker looks like that one you posted.

NP and NV are the same thing, just a name change of the company.

back to the real question. if you had a 4.7/45rfe(or 545rfe) what engine/tranny combo's can you get a transfer case from that bolt up with correct spline and shaft length? is this something you or somebody here knows? theres charts around for other vehicles(besides jeeps) that tell which tcases from which engine/tranny combo work on different engine/tranny combo's but I have not found something like that for durangos yet

EDIT: I have seen 4.7 durangos with with manual shift tcase with NO 2wd spot on the shifter. yes that is MANUAL shift tcase WITHOUT 2wd in a NON R/T 4.7 powered Durango. is that an AWD case? they have 4lo, 4wd, neutral and 4locked I think is the positions. this is where my question originates and if a 242 or other manual tcase with 2wd in it could replace whatver that tcase is. I have also seen this in a 2000 Durango with the old pushrod engine but I forgot to look if it was 5.2 or 5.9(have seen some 5.2's in 2000) it was NOT an R/T though, at the time I didnt care because it was double negative to buy it(not a 4.7 and no 2wd spot on tcase shifter) for what I was wanting then.

Last edited by Blind Monkey; 09-28-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No, they are NOT the same thing, there are a very few differences like input shafts and various other things. It wasn't just a change of company, the new venture company did just a couple of modifications to them. The basic internals are the same but a few modifications were made to the mounting and hookup.

Now Canadian models came with a 4.7L AWD case, and not much is known about it like this one: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/canada-...onto-area.html

You are not talking about the same things across the board, also there are like 3 different T-cases for the 4.7L. With that said, there is no table that I know of for interchangeability. Now they could be the same as the Jeeps, but they have different inputs just like the difference between the Ram and the Durango.

Listen, there are all sorts of the same number T-cases out there just like there is different differentials even though they are the same Chrysler Corporate 9.25 differential, yet they are different. There are a lot of differences all across the boards from Jeep to Dakota, Ram to Durango. Another instance, a 46RE has the same basic case, but different sensors and locations, not to mention bolt patterns and various other issues between years and vehicle.

So I don't know the answer your question, because your question is so full of holes. Regardless, if you aren't going to listen then I'm not going to answer.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
No, they are NOT the same thing, there are a very few differences like input shafts and various other things. It wasn't just a change of company, the new venture company did just a couple of modifications to them. The basic internals are the same but a few modifications were made to the mounting and hookup.

Now Canadian models came with a 4.7L AWD case, and not much is known about it like this one: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/canada-...onto-area.html

You are not talking about the same things across the board, also there are like 3 different T-cases for the 4.7L. With that said, there is no table that I know of for interchangeability. Now they could be the same as the Jeeps, but they have different inputs just like the difference between the Ram and the Durango.

Listen, there are all sorts of the same number T-cases out there just like there is different differentials even though they are the same Chrysler Corporate 9.25 differential, yet they are different. There are a lot of differences all across the boards from Jeep to Dakota, Ram to Durango. Another instance, a 46RE has the same basic case, but different sensors and locations, not to mention bolt patterns and various other issues between years and vehicle.

So I don't know the answer your question, because your question is so full of holes. Regardless, if you aren't going to listen then I'm not going to answer.
yah I understand what you are saying. just read in many places that NP and NV were same thing just change of name.

that fine, you've mostly answered the question. I know im not very good at trying to explain what im asking, I do try to explain the best I can but I just plain suck at it. usually confuse myself more then I confuse others. please don't take anything i've said as not listening, I am listening. the end result is unless its a tcase from behind a 4.7/45rfe theres pretty low chance of it working.

hopefully future questions I have i'll be able to explain better, like not having a weird what will swap question.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

In the Jeep world there are some same sort options, but outside that world things get real different, real quick.

But no, when they changed manufactures they also changed certain parts and that is what is screwin with your answer. I really wish there was a certain chart out there that would tell you either way, but with all the changes between models it doesn't works as easy. In Jeeps they stayed more of a standard program, but outside they changed it up to what they neeeded at the time they need it. That really screwed it up for a lot of people and vehicles.

Quick Reply: transfer case interchange