1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

question about tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Monster_X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy question about tires ?

i have a 2002 durango r/t stock tires that are the 275/60/17 . i need 2 rear tires fronts are great still rear are dry rot , i went to the tire place today they said i needed to get 4 tires replaced at the same time and could not do 2 at a time . my question is is this true ? i think the guys are bs n me . i know on true awd veh you need to .. but to my knowlage this truck is not a constant awd . please any help will be awsome i dont wanna have to buy 4 new tires if i dont need to

Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 PM
FirePro911
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a 4x4 right? If so, yes, all four tires need to be the same diameter. If not and for some reason it is put into 4 wheel drive, it will hurt your tranny and transfer case.

Now if the new ones you are wanting to put on the back are the same size as the front ones currently on there, then no, you do not need 4 new ones. Even though the two front ones are older than the new ones, the minimum amount of tread difference will not hurt.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 FirePro911

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

If it was my AWD Rango..

I'd take note that the Stock tires in the rear that are drying out are telling me the fronts would be the same very shortly. Blowouts. etc.

Being stock, the fronts are prob 50% and new rears would change handling char.

Even when money is tight I'd rather replace them all at one time keeping the same tread pattern and purchasing a tire warranty

Try to keep them all the same with sched. rotations/balances/air pressure and you wont have the problems in the future (well unless you destroy one)

Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a 2002 durangor/t stock tires that are the 275/60/17 . i need 2 rear tires fronts are great still rear are dry rot , i went to the tire place today they said i needed to get 4 tires replaced at the same time and could not do 2 at a time
If it is AWD then yes, however if it is normal 4X4 then no, however you shouldn't use it in 4X4 unless you have the same worn tires as it can cause axle bind.

So in yours you have a 2002 R/T so yes they are correct, you need to replace them at the same intervals.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yup as stated above, and with the fact that the R/T is a full time AWD vehicle, all 4 at once every time. (i actually follow this on anything thats a 4x4 of any type, and even on 2wd cars if i cannot match the tread pattern)

Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
srch4me
All Star

+1 Sharps. same here. if the vehicle has 4x4 replace all at once... unless you really dont give a rats @$$ about your car then go ahead and replace just two of them but you risk all the stated problems.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Monster_X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i do care for my truck ive owned it for only a few months .. now about the tires the fronts are a diff brand than the rear.it was there before i got the truck
all tires are the same diameter it drives great but according to most of you there should be damage already done from having mis matched brand tires on my truck ? i appologise im confused , i thought as long as tires are same diamiter they would be ok and not affect the awd ? am i wrong ?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 AM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by Monster_X
well i do care for my truck ive owned it for only a few months .. now about the tires the fronts are a diff brand than the rear.it was there before i got the truck
all tires are the same diameter it drives great but according to most of you there should be damage already done from having mis matched brand tires on my truck ? i appologise im confused , i thought as long as tires are same diamiter they would be ok and not affect the awd ? am i wrong ?
the dammage wont occur from missmatched treads it occurs from different tire diameters, when you have it in 4x4 or AWD the tires all spin at the same revolution if they are the same diameter. but if you have different diameters then the tires will each be spinning at different speeds and cause axle bind like hydra said. at least this is my understanding.

for me i will always replace all 4 tires aat the same time with the same brand and tread. i dont want to blow my tcase or diff.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The problem with mixing brands of tires is that they all lie about the size. Go measure you some "33 inch" or "35 inch" truck tires sometime. I've seen tires listed by the manufacturer as 35" tires measure anywhere from 33 1/3" to about 34 3/4", never seen a 35" tire actually measure 35" yet...

Quick Reply: question about tires ?