1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ignition Switch Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Light

I noticed recently that the clear ring around the ignition switch isn't coming on any more. I'm guessing that the bulb is just burnt out or something. How do you get to the bulb to change it and what kind of bulb does it need. (I searched around and couldn't find any information on this)

thanks

Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Never seen this one before??????

It would have to be in the column I would think. I would go to a junk yard and get into one to see how it works, then work on yours.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 PM
that_guy
Champion

I guess I'll have to make a trip to pull-a-part this weekend. I just thought to look around for the bulb and found it on rock auto for under $.50 so I'll probably just order it . Here's the link to the bulb if anyone needs it: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2548156

If I get it working I'll do a write up on it because I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this problem.

as usual, thanks for the help hydra

Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, there's a bulb in there you can replace. PITA to get to.

ARE YOU TRIPLE, TRIPLE, TRIPLE SURE that it ever lit up in the first place?

Just because it has an "illuminat-able" appearing halo is NOT the answer. I'll save more for later pending answer. Write ups already exist, including mine.

IndyDurango

Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

And oh yea... your link for a bulb above is WRONG. The bulb is a #37 and a quick trip to the auto parts store should score it for $1.18 (O'Reilly was my source.)

Still doesn't mean you need it. I'm betting as a '99 yours never worked.

IndyD

Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Yea, there's a bulb in there you can replace. PITA to get to.

ARE YOU TRIPLE, TRIPLE, TRIPLE SURE that it ever lit up in the first place?

Just because it has an "illuminat-able" appearing halo is NOT the answer. I'll save more for later pending answer. Write ups already exist, including mine.

IndyDurango
I'm fairly sure that it did light up before, I remember that it was green and came on with the dome lights. On the off chance that it didn't I'll just wire it into the light under the dash for the footwell or something like that. And I didn't realize that you had a writeup on it. I searched around here for about an hour, going through posts and not finding anything. Sorry.

And oh yea... your link for a bulb above is WRONG. The bulb is a #37 and a quick trip to the auto parts store should score it for $1.18 (O'Reilly was my source.)

Still doesn't mean you need it. I'm betting as a '99 yours never worked.

IndyD
Thanks for letting me know the bulb number on rock auto was wrong. I'm not really surprised that rock auto had the wrong part listed. A while back I ordered a carb rebuild kit for my '69 Satellite from them and they sent me one for a holley carb instead of a carter carb even though it said it was supposed to be for a carter. I think I'm just going to stop dealing with them.

anyway, Thanks for the help

Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 PM
that_guy
Champion

I took the column apart (which wasn't very difficult) and took the light bulb out. It wasn't burnt out but it did have black deposits inside it, as if it had been on before (I tested it and it still worked), so apparently I did remember correctly that it used to work. However, I put a meter on the socket and there was no power. Instead of trying to follow the wire deeper into the column I just ran a wire from the dome light in the footwell to it. It now lights up, still with the same bulb, green like it used to, with the interior lights.

Once again thanks for the help hydra and indy, you guys are the best

Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Usually on 99s+ the socket is there, the plug is there, hell... even the bulb is there. However, Dodge saved 2 cents per vehicle and didn't connect the wire harness to anything. Your's must have been a very early 99 build whereas 98s did, 99s+ didn't.

I wired mine to always on when the car is on. If I ever pull it apart, I'll connect to hot only when the lights are on. Wasn't thinking at the time, but it looks good nevertheless.

If you ever pull it all out, you need a security star set of bits. A reg bit won't work.

IndyDurango

Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Still doesn't mean you need it. I'm betting as a '99 yours never worked
Why wouldn't it have ever worked? They were installed back in the 90's, and it was factory wired. That statement doesn't make any sense?

Anyway, thanks for the bulb number and everything. Do you have a link to the write up?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Hey HS... WAKE UP!

Go re-read right above your reply and then drink another Jack and Coke.

Geesssse.
LOL

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Light