1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trans shifting weird

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Dirtrango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans shifting weird

Ok i posted awhile ago about hard shifting. now my problem is i get up to speed where the trans should shift and it still takes awhile but i noticed if i let off the gas and go back on it there is like dead space where the rpms have to catch up to the speed I'm going. what could cause this? could it be the TV cable (I think that's what it's called) totally confused. Also the throttle cables seam to have extra play in them how do i fix that. I mean give me a 60's or 70's motor and I'm good this new fangled ****e confuses me.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Search my post called "rough transmission engagement." Long story, short... adjusting the tv cable fixed shifting issue.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level? And what is your shifting pattern, Like 1st and 2nd shift normal but takes a long time to shift into 3rd. And do you have a shift kit in the transmission?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Dirtrango
Professional

Master tech: fluid is good it's an auto and stock as far as i know. I will do anything else on a car or truck except mess with a trans.

Samnbensdad: I will check into it tomorrow, is adjusting the TV cable hard i never messed with it when i had my Camaro so I don't know anything about it.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Dirtrango
Professional

OK so did some searching but haven't found a DIY on how to adjust the TV cable on my 99 D. I found the sticky on trans diagnostics and such. Do we have a write up on here for this or should i just buy the repair manual.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM
ccthomp
Professional

Try youtube for vids or ehow they can provide directions on adjusting the cable. But you basically remove a couple of clips and remove the cable from the tb and slide it inor out. Slide it out will give you smoother shifts and earlier shifts and slide it in will be the opposite. I would recommend you also have a shop look at it as well. My trans is shot and i was having the same symptoms as you are to a degree.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the pdf on adjusting it from the fsm is available in the FAQ

or from this link

http://www.mediafire.com/?4z89ndodf38txbr

Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All you do is slide out the clip at the cable mount. What I mean by this is the mount that holds back the shielding on the TV Cable, not where it connects to the Throttle Body, but very close. I think the inside clip slides to the passenger side and once done the cable shielding now moves. Now you you push the throttle all the way closed and adjust the shielding to where there is no pull or no slack and slide the clasp back in to hold it there.

Before you actually adjust it you should ensure that it is actually out of adjustment. You simply grab the throttle and ensure it is closed, look at the TV cable (Throttle Valve Cable) and see if there is any slack or if it is pulling on the cable, if so you simply adjust.

In the 1998 Service Manual starting on page 216 in section 21 if you look at the Adobe Reader, or if you look at page 21 - 213.

The guy in this video is an idiot, and don't listen to him, but he will show you where it is located. You simply slide the clip out and adjust it with no pre-load and not slack then re-clasp the shielding.

Also keep in mind it can also be the transmission output sensor located on the drivers side of the trans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nral3...yer_detailpage

Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Dirtrango
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The guy in this video is an idiot, and don't listen to him, but he will show you where it is located. You simply slide the clip out and adjust it with no pre-load and not slack then re-clasp the shielding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nral3...yer_detailpage
Yeah i watched that the other night and was more confused then i was. I mean was there a coherent thought in that video?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh hell no! That guy is a complete idiot!

It really is very simple to do, all that clip does is hold the sheilding in place and that sets the length of the TV Cable that goes onto the throttle body. If it needs adjustment, you first take off the fitting from the throttle body by pulling forward on the fitting, and see if it lines up with the throttle body linkage when you manually ensure the throttle plate is fully closed, if not you slide the clip out move it so it is perfect alignment replace the clip and place the cable back on the throttle body.

Maybe I should make a video on it, but for me it is really hard because my V-10 is in a different place and it also sits sideways. It would mess everyone up!

Quick Reply: Trans shifting weird