1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help!!! I may have a SERIOUS ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:25 PM
98rango_slt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! I may have a SERIOUS ISSUE

hey, new at this guys (and gals) so bear with me. I just bought a 98 durango slt with the 5.9L. got a STEAL. bought it for 700 bucks RUNNING. ok, now, to the serious stuff,the gent i purchased from said one day he was drivin home and had to slam on the brakes. k no prob, but it caught on fire. ok, checked it out, not too much damage, fried spark wires on driver side, few needed parts, ok so, SO FAR i have replaced the master brake cylinder, canister purge solenoid, grommet for pcv coming off the driver side valve cover (old one melted closed), new brake booster grommet and fitting for the vac line that is completely missing must have burned up, now, what i need is, the diagram for the vac hoses coming off the purge solenoid and the hose that i know is supposed to go on the master brake booster to ......intake manifold? and where the pcv hose from the driver side goes, or if it can be plugged up or not. BASICALLY i just need a good under the hood pic of the driverside of the motor and one straight in from the front bumper (driver side of course) of a 98 durango 5.9L preferably.... so any pics, write ups ect. would be very much appreciated! thanks all!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
laz45
Veteran

Look in the DIY section,There's links for the FSM, I'm looking at the the emissions section for my engine...vaccum diagrams pics..everything....
Your engine is in the manual also....

Old 10-22-2011, 05:07 PM
98rango_slt
Default thanks

Thanks man. Dunno if I can acess via mobile but thanks for the info! Got pics of the underhood fire if it aids me in this process at all

Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 PM
laz45
Veteran

Ahhh,yeah tough on a mobile....
...try this,it's a link to a pic of your sticker(I think) not a very one but hope it helps
http://autopartmaster.com/en/?action...6&id_pic=31766

Last edited by laz45; 10-22-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM
98rango_slt
Default k

Ok man. Uhm.... also can't find the diy section. Think you can maybe post the link?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM
laz45
Veteran

Yup here ya go.....https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

scroll down and you'll see links to the FSM,only thing is it's a download,might be an
aggrivator trying on a mobile.....anyway,that's where it is.....could you see the pic in the earlier link??

Last edited by laz45; 10-22-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well there is a few differences in the Evap system then what I can recall, see I don't have the Durango anymore but;

Yours is a 1998 and a 5.9, so your PCV valve is on the passenger side not drivers. On the drivers side is the crankshaft breather. Now the breather goes to the back of the air hat on top of your throttle body. This hose is a pre-bent hose. Go to your dealer to get a new one.

The PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover. This line goes to the passenger side intake manifold under the throttle body. There is a single large nipple (where it goes) and 2 small nipples that are not used and capped off.

Now on the 2000+ models these are backward when they re-formatted the front end, so heads up for those people searching abroad.

Now off the throttle body pointing in front is a vacuum line nipple. It is a 3" soft line that plugs into a small hard line that is pre-bent and goes around to the drivers side under the wires but between the throttle body and injectors. This line then turns back to a soft line and goes up on the cab fire wall just down form the hood. From there it "T's" off, the side turning to the passenger side goes to the vacuum reservoir under the cowl, the other side shold have a port with a green cap and goes into the brake booster (this grommet and input is actually a check valve). There is also a line that goes down to the heater core entree into the cab for the controls for the heater.

But that is where I get lost. A few pic's could help also a trip to the junk yard might help, but you have to look at a 1998-1999 Durango.

Here you can see the PCV valve on the drivers side going into the intake manifold:

Name:  100_2561.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  85.0 KB

Here is the "T" and the purge valve solenoid and the green cap access hole:

That is all I have unfortunately?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 AM
98rango_slt
Default ok

No green cap or anything, ac has been removed completely. And random capped off hoses are layin all over, bypass? I have no idea what goes where its a thoughrough hodge podge of junk and whatnots all over. I can't really upload on mobile. But yeah. Its a mess. The "t" has no hoses or conections after the right side of the t. And the crank case breather hose is burnt to ashes so I can't even see where it goes.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 PM
laz45
Veteran

Best to follow hydra's advice if you can, look around for a salvage yard and try to find your truck\engine and snap some photo's...no telling what's been done if they removed systems from yours....I have a 4.7 so pics of mine won't help....Maybe another member could snap some for you if they have a match??

Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If anyone with a 5.9L or a 5.2L 1998-1999 Durango can shoot a few pictures of in front of the throttle body, down the drivers side, the rear firewall (cab) including the brake booster and the line down the passenger side to the vacuum reservior would be great.......Thanks

Quick Reply: Help!!! I may have a SERIOUS ISSUE