1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Going from drive to overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 PM
noman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from drive to overdrive?

I picked up a load of wood today. I would start out in drive when I would get to 55mph I would put it in overdrive. I had some over passes to go over. And took it out of over drive to climb the hill. When I pushed the button to go back to over drive the rpms went up then it shifted. hundred . Is this normal?
It didn't feel like it was slipping. And it didn't shift hard when going through the gears.
This is the first time I've pulled a trailer farther than just around town. (I still haven't picked up the boat yet.)

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless that trailer was heavy, just leave it in OD and call it a day. Wood usually isn't that heavy of a load in relationship to pulling a car, camper, etc. If you are pulling a load that you should be concerned over OD or no OD, then take it out of OD and leave it out of OD until you are done towing. Not a good idea to mix and match.

With that said, you typed, "the rpms went up then it shifted. hundred . Is this normal?" No matter how many times I read that, it makes no sense as written.

Is it normal for the OD not to snap in to gear and slide over a few RPMs before it engages? If that is what you are asking, yes.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 10-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:34 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you read the owners manual when towing a trailer over about 3000-3500 lbs depending on the gearing and motor set up you are supposed to lock out of OD and you in fact did the right thing.

The way I work it is if you can travel at speed and it just rolls then leave it in OD, however if it shifts back and forth the load is too heavy and you should lock out. The reason it came out of lock up a few hundred RPM is because you unlocked the torque convertor by pushing the tow button.

See between 3rd and OD is a clutch, that clutch starts to spin because the torque convertor is out of lockup, but the TV cable is telling the transmission to increase, and that is the few hundred RPM which brings the engine power band up. This brings the engine back to a power band and that puts more power to the pavement. This tactic is to utilize the best power band of the engine and increase performance. This is normal.

Wood is in fact VERY heavy and easily out weighs a car so I disagree with that statement. I used to haul wood and I know how much it weighs, not to mention what kind of wood and how green it is.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Magnum4406
Professional

The torque converter will unlock before it shifts into od if you had it turned off. So yes, turn the od on and the converter unlocks and the RPM goes up, shifts into od and will lock up again. You can recreate the feeling by driving with the od off...accelerate lightly and just push lightly on the brakes...that will unlock the converter when the brake is on and you should get the same feeling.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
noman
Professional

Indy your right it didn't make sense. I took out a sentence and forgot and word.
The wood wasn't to heavy it squatted back of durango down maybe an inch or 2.
I didn't think the shifting was something bad. Like I said it didn't feel like it was slipping. I never had to take it out of od so I never noticed it. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The whole thing is called "Torque Management".

Quick Reply: Going from drive to overdrive?