1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

transmission vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 PM
greasydriveway
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission vent hose

I need some help here. I have a rubber hose hanging down by the transmission. On the end that hangs down there is a red hose clamp. I followed the other end and it looks like it almost might go to the back of the engine.
I just bought the thing (2002 Durango 4.7 4WD) about a month ago and looked up the recalls, took it to the dealership for ball joints, etc. The little piece of paper they gave me indicates it is transfer case vent hose. I'm not so sure about that.
The thing is fun to drive and seems very easy to work on so far. All I have left to do is put on a new ground strap to replace the old burned up one, and put in a O2 sensor. Hopefully that will clear the p0037 p0138.
Any thoughts on the hose would be very much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Yes, thats is the vent hose for the transfer case. It should connected to the transfer case ( red hose clamp) and the other end goes up to the end of the dip stick tube. Also check see if you have power steering switch, and if it does is it leaking?

Old 10-30-2011, 02:45 AM
greasydriveway
Rookie

Thanks man! I'll be looking around my t-case for somewhere to shove that hose, check the ps switch, come first light. I have another question hopefully someone can answer.
I notice that if I go a day or two not starting or driving my rig, that when I check the oil there is water(I think) mixed with oil on the dipstick. I'll pull it out, wipe it, put it back, repeat about 5 or 6 times.....and it comes back just good clean oil, leading me to believe that it might possibly be condensation. Ever hear of this?
The first time it happened was right after I flushed the radiator. I had changed the oil before I flushed the radiator, and had NOT driven at all. I started it up and let it run for a while to see how much more oil it needed. When I checked the oil it was all bad, milky, green.......I immediately changed the oil again. Never happened again. Just a little milky on the dipstick if it don't start and run every day. What gives?

Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The nipple is located directly on top and about center of the transfer case. The other end is usually zip tied to the end the oil dipstick where you check the trans fluid. It has a cap on the end that keeps water from getting into the tube end.

It sounds like you could have an intake manifold leak or head gasket leak. With the 4.7L I would suggest that it could be a head gasket.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 AM
greasydriveway
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I still haven't got that dang hose on. I stick my hand up there and feel and feel, but can't find the nipple. I'm ready to cut a hole in the floor.
Looks like my ps switch is nice and dry. Do those fail alot?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The nipple most likely broke off. You would have to drop the t-case and most likely drill and insert a new nipple. I would just walk away from it personally and change the fluid more often like every 15k and not drive in high water. It would be better if you went to a junk yard and felt up on top of one that has the nipple so you know where it is, also it might be lodged in the end of the hose.

The PS switch likes to get some oil in them and fail, that is just something we bring up to make people aware.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM
greasydriveway
Rookie

Thanks man. I think I'll do that, since changing the fluid only takes 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: transmission vent hose