1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Xfer case hosed

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM
crankbait
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xfer case hosed

If I could get some help please, after several hours of searching I am at somewhat of a loss, I recently purchased a 2000 Durango with a NV231HD xfer case, where can I get the parts to rebuild this thing. From what I have read it is slightly different than a standard 231. I can do the job just can't find the parts.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think almost any parts store should be able to get the parts in.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
brhodes
Professional

Have you torn it down to see what parts you need, yet? That's where I'd start. I don't know if they have a "kit" for your transfer case anywhere, but I guarantee you can find parts for it. Like Monkey says, you can probably get them from a regular parts store (they'll be high) if you know what parts you need.

Looks like the difference between the 231 and the 231HD is bearing and chain size (HD I assume, is for Heavy Duty). Planetary reductions are the same, as are probably everything else.

Like I said, tear it apart and see what you'll need, and go from there. I'd bet that if you can get parts for the 231, you can find them for the HD variant at the same place. I've bought parts from Tellico before and had no problems, if you are looking to get the stuff online.

Last edited by brhodes; 10-31-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:02 PM
brhodes
Professional

Ok, I got the "skinny" on your transfer case...

Call Bart, at http://www.drivetrain.com (877)572-7876 and he can get you pretty much anything you need. My mechanic buddy says he's a pretty knowledgeable guy and can answer whatever questions you have. Also, their email contact on their website goes straight to him.

But again, tear it down and see what you'll need...maybe you'll get by with a new chain and gears, maybe not. And they do have rebuild "kits" there, but it's still wise to see what you have before ordering anything.

Good luck

Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
crankbait

Thank you sir, I will be checking this guy out, but I do have to apologize as I broke my #1 cardinal rule when diagnosing a problem, I let someone else tell me what was wrong with it. Turns out it's the pinion in the rear diff causing my problems. I just bought this Saturday to compliment my 00 Ram 1500. (Only paid 600 smackers for it) He told me his wife tried jamming it in 4lo while driving and broke some linkage parts, shortly after it started making a noise then while driving down the road, so she shut it down and had it towed home, I was able to drive it onto my trailer and into the garage when I got it home.
Lesson Learned for me I guess

Oh and my RAM hauled this puppy 50 miles up hill the whole way down the freeway 70+ and never missed a beat, Man I love my Truck.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM
brhodes
Professional

Apologize for getting off cheap? That's a sin

Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well sounds like you are in need of rebuilding your rear diff, sounds like fun, not to mention what else she did to it when she put it in 4low while driving.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 AM
crankbait

I started a new thread based on my findings last night, it appears I have to replace the entire housing since the outer spindle bearing spun in the housing, All my years of working on cars this is a first for me, so i'll probly be asking a lot of questions

Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
brhodes
Professional

Originally Posted by crankbait
I started a new thread based on my findings last night, it appears I have to replace the entire housing since the outer spindle bearing spun in the housing, All my years of working on cars this is a first for me, so i'll probly be asking a lot of questions
I'm not sure you need to replace the housing, honestly. A good machinist would be able to clean that up and sleeve it back to the size you need, provided he has access to a machine he can do the work on.

Can you put some photos up?? I'd really like to see the extent of the damage.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea id like to see the pictures too if you dont mind.

Quick Reply: Xfer case hosed