1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Little Heat Cold Feet

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Messianic Maniac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked out the heat controls alot closer this aftn. I noticed "dots" between the diverter options. Such as floor, *, floor/defrost, *, defrost, *, etc.. OK, when the divertor switch is on floor, the floor does blow out. But the defroster never shuts all the way off. I guess this is where we get the hot face when we want the feet warmer. If I switch it to the *, the defroster blows a little harder with floor still on. And switched to floor/defrost, it blows maybe a tad more from the defrost with floor still on. Going the other way, switched to the * before the vent, the vent will come on with the floor, and so on, & so on like going the defrost way. So, the problem is the defrost never shuts all the way off when switched to floor only. Oh, it will shut all the way off once the vents actuate. I thought for awhile someone might have left a tool in there from the factory, but it will shut off going back toward the vents. So there's the dilemma. Shouldn't the defrost shut all the way off with the floor only switched in? Or is this the design flaw that someone spoke of? It seems like there would be a service update on this & how to correct it. If the defrost would shut all the way off when the floor only was switched in, the problem would be solved. Crank up the heat thermostat & toast the feet.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Messianic Maniac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to rewire the selector switch so that the divertor door would slam shut when the heat only option is selected? IT seems like this would have been the goal of Dodge when this control was designed.

Quick Reply: Little Heat Cold Feet