1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Only have 2nd and 3rd gears- limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
rrb1971
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only have 2nd and 3rd gears- limp mode

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT. Back in April I had the input sensor replaced. At that time I couldn't go over 40 without it seeming like my transmission was shot. Once sensor was replaced had no problems. Now the code showing is for the output sensor. It only has 2nd and 3rd gears. I was told that means it is in limp mode.

I also was told that I have a linkage out. I was told I have been driving in 4wd and it screwed up my transmission.

My problem is the person who told me this has screwed me before on transmissions. My 4wd light has never been on. I have been told by another garage that it could just be the output sensor and fix the linkage problem. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the solution was.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 PM
brhodes
Professional

Originally Posted by rrb1971
I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT. Back in April I had the input sensor replaced. At that time I couldn't go over 40 without it seeming like my transmission was shot. Once sensor was replaced had no problems. Now the code showing is for the output sensor. It only has 2nd and 3rd gears. I was told that means it is in limp mode.

I also was told that I have a linkage out. I was told I have been driving in 4wd and it screwed up my transmission.

My problem is the person who told me this has screwed me before on transmissions. My 4wd light has never been on. I have been told by another garage that it could just be the output sensor and fix the linkage problem. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the solution was.
Replace the output sensor and fix the linkage problem and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you need a tranny...best case, problem will be solved.

ALWAYS get a second (or third, or fourth) opinion when it involves thousands of dollars in repairs.

And if the guy who told you it screwed up your tranny has screwed you before....why are you even talking to him?? I would NEVER give a guy a second chance to bend me over. Not only that, I'd make sure everyone knew about the first screwing he gave you.

I'm not sure how being in 4WD for an extended period would ruin your tranny. Transfer case, or front bearings, joints, etc. maybe, if it was in for a LONG time...but I don't see what it could've done to your transmission. Everything inside it does exactly the same thing in 4WD as it does in 2WD, so far as I know (still don't know everything about these Durangos). The transfer case, front shaft and front diff do the "4WD stuff"...tranny has nothing to do with it, other than having to work a little harder, and even that added stress shouldn't be enough to do any damage to ANYTHING other than your clutch pack, which should be negligible. The fact that it still drives down the road at all tells me your clutches and the other internal workings are probably OK, and that it's some sort of logic problem (sensor, tranny ECM, whatever).

Like I said...replace the sensor and check the linkage and see what happens. I'd bet the guy who told you your tranny was bad just remembers getting to hose you once before and expects to get another easy payday from you.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:40 PM
rrb1971

The person who screwed me on my last trans is a family member who is actually a good mechanic. Problem is if your vehicle needs fixed when he is in need of money. If so, then you will have a bigger problem than you started with. I originally was having him help with the output sensor but then he said my tranny is shot. But the excuse was that I had been driving in strictly 4wd for too long. That didn't sit well with me, considering these things are built for just that.

I have taken it to one other shop already, waiting to hear from them and will go from there. I do know that if it is the trans it will go to someone different. I just thought I would give it a chance to see if anyone else had a similar problem and what the solution was. The sensor is only $22 and I have been told its not a hard job to change. No clue about the linkage.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I know you have a 2000 durango, But which engine do you have? Because if it is a 5.2/5.9 that would be a 44/46 RE trans or a 4.7 with the 45RFE trans. And what type of work was done on the transmission?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rrb1971
But the excuse was that I had been driving in strictly 4wd for too long. That didn't sit well with me, considering these things are built for just that.
It depends on your transfer case. There were two basic types of transfer cases available, full time AWD and part time 4WD, in our trucks. I can't remember what number was what off the top of my head, but the easiest way to tell which one you had would be to look at your transfer case selector. If it only has 2Hi, 4Hi, N, and 4Lo you have a part time transfer case, and driving on the road in 4WD WOULD be damaging to your driveline (transfer case and front cv shafts). If your selector has 2Hi, 4Hi PT, 4Hi FT, N, 4Lo you have a full time transfer case. If you drive on the road in 4Hi FT your driveline WOULD NOT be damaged from this. However if you would drive in 4Hi PT the axles would be locked and cause driveline binding when driven on the road, just like with the part time transfer case.
I am fairly sure that if your transfer case was in 4WD you would have a light on your dashboard (either amber 4WD Part Time of green 4wd Full Time) should (someone correct me if i'm wrong) illuminate regardless of your selector linkage being broken. Once again 4WD full time is ok on the road. If 4WD part time was engaged you should be able to feel the steering wheel resisting turning when driving.

Hope this helps

Last edited by that_guy; 10-31-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: made a mistake trying to type quickly
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok im going to clear up some inaccuracies in here

1) driving in 4wd PT on dry pavement will do damage to the t-case, and maybe the front driveline, NOTHING MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) if there is a 2wd option on the t-case that is where it should be driven under normal conditions, 4wdFT is there, but using it all the time is a waste of gas, and will over time (a very large period of time of course) wear out the case, driving this way in the rain if you have problems accelerating in 2wd is fine, but dont leave it there if you dont need the extra traction.

all that said
3) change the output speed sensor, its a cheap part, and easy to access and will very likely fix your problem (no promises, but i would very much change it first if it was me)

Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for catching my mistake shrp,
I didn't mean to write transmission and transfer case, just transfer case. Ill edit it so the info is accurate

Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Replacing the ouput sensor would a good choice if the transmission is a 44/46RE. But the way I am reading the post, The member doesn't have 1st or 4th gears. rrb1971 have you checked either the PCM or TCM for stored codes?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
rrb1971

Here is the information I know about my vehicle. It is a V8 4.7L. Trans is 45RFE. Transfer case has 4lo, n 2wd, 4hi.

I have taken it to a shop and they ran diagnostic tests yesterday. Im suppose to get a call today to see what they came up with but he told me he really didn't think it was the tranny. Atleast not to the point of replacing the entire thing.

I wanted to get some opinions so I know for sure I am not being screwed. I don't know a lot about vehicles and cant afford to put a lot of money out on something that isn't actually the problem.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM
rrb1971

To add there has been no work to this transmission.

Quick Reply: Only have 2nd and 3rd gears- limp mode