1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM
crankbait
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for

Alright so my Durango has become a full blown project with the rear end out. Of which I will supply plenty of pics when I can get housing out of it.
Right now I have the trans pan off, fluid drained and letting it drip down for the day, while this pan is off my questions are
1. is there anything in there I need to look at while I'm changing filters, (Didn't know there was 2 of them in there, never seen that before) For the most part the fluid looked clean, don't think it has been serviced in a while but not a lot of metal on the magnet. Thinking about taking the valve body apart and cleaning real good, good idea, bad idea? Not afraid to do it though.

2. Is there anything else under the truck I need to be looking at while it's out of service.

2000 Durango
4.7l - Auto Trans
4x4
Any other info needed

Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the saying "If its not broke, don't fix it" applies here. Just make sure to get the magnet and pan are real clean before re-installing. The trend in trannies is 2 filters now over one in the older trannies. I would change the fluid in the transfer case too while you working on it.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM
crankbait
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely there has to be cheaper transmission spin on filter or a good one for the money, advance wants 11.00 for that little thing WTH

Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you could check rockauto or amazon but then you have to wait for shipping. (6.88 at rockauto)

Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, on your transmission just replace the filters and refill with ATF+4 and clean off the magnet, you can even reuse the rubber gasket unless leaking. Just wipe it with just a little grease on the gasket, but just a little to make it look wet.

Replace the T-case fluid ATF+4.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to agree with the others, just drain, replace and fill..... When i serviced mine last i replaced the gov. pressure sensor and the 3-4 shift seleniod but, i was getting an occasional CEL for them and decided it be better to replace now rather then pull the pan later if they should fail... Make sure you get ALL the fluid out...