1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just ran seafoam, got to read this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 AM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OffTheTimeline
Ok, so let me get this straight... I've read about seafoam in other threads, and actually saw it at walmart the other day when picking up some groceries. So you can actually throw this stuff into your engine with the oil, or in your gas tank, it helps clean out your systems AND won't destroy anything??? For those who don't know I am a newb "aspiring" DIY gearhead and iirc when I was younger I learned that anything besides gas in the gas tank and oil in the engine will foul things up. Shrps or anyone else, can you please explain how to use seafoam or any other cleaner of the like without harming my truck's guts? TYIA!!!
It is really easy...I have had people tell me dont put anything in the oil or gas tank you'll ruin your rig. Then see people put am/pm gas in the tank the next day(crap gas)...
So when I personally get a new rig(well used but new to me)I have always dumped a whole can of seafoam in the gas tank when it is empty then fill it with gas. Run that till your basically on fumes and thats that. Wont hurt anything, clears water, carbon build up on injectors, etc.
Now for oil it gets tricky, Some would say you can just put it in and go for as long as you want it wont hurt anything. I normally put about half a can of seafoam in the oil, then drive it normal for 50 miles tops then change the oil and filter. If you do this when you change it,(and come to find out not using synthetic all the time) your oil should be thick and black. Then just fill with oil etc. This is a good time to switch to synthetic after all that gunk has been cleared out so that it can actually keep the engine clean and get anything that might have been missed.
As for putting it in you TB, Well I would say for a novice this can be very scary...as stated in my first post!(engine kept running after I pulled the key out lol) Basically what I do,(once again matter of opinion), get the rig up to operating temp. Shut it off and remove the intake hat. Now that your TB is exposed and you can see the butterfly valves have some one else start the rig, let it get to idle and start pouring. As you are pouring you want the other person to keep the RPM's at 1K ish so that it dosn't die. Pour in about a 1/4 of the can very slowly, switching from one valve to the next and back again. Then when you have 1/4 left tell the guy at the wheel on the count of three shut it off if this dosn't kill it and just dump the rest down the intake. This is important cause it gets the build up at the top part of the intake where air would normally pull the seafoam down into the chamber. Let that sit for 20 or so minutes....
Now start you rig, you will see smoke. Either white, black, or a little of both. Dont worry...this is normal. Go for a drive and do a couple of quick sprints to really open up the intake and push out the crap. I drive 3-5 miles total to make sure all the stuff is out. Then your done!
I would normally run it in the gas tank first till empty, then do your intake, then do the oil...that way anything that was shot into the engine is caught by the oil and has been cleaned away with the seafoam in the oil.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

Ok so in the gas tank when emptied out and about to fill up then run it til empty again? I'll be sure to try it out next time I'm about to fill up! As for in the oil, I just got (not did myself... yet!) An oil change so I'll try that in a few months. Thanks for the info, Roller!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok i do not agree with all of what was posted

standard procedure for seafoam use is as follows

1 can total

1/3 in the gas (as stated, empty tank add seafoam and fill to top, run till normal fill point and fill normally from there on out)

1/3 in the oil (do not run it in the oil for very long id say less than a full tank of gas worth of driving, the seafoam IS a chemical and while it breaks down any build up, it also changes the properties of the oil at the same time, this means it doesnt lubricate as well. DO NOT DO THIS VERY OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then of course change the oil and filter, maybe run this one on a short change interval (1/2, so 2-3k miles max) and then continue on normal intervals)
Also while you have the seafoam in the engine i wouldnt run it too hard, but take your chances as you will.

now on this step, i believe that a properly maintained engine will not have any significant build up to be cleaned out in the oil passageways ect so if you buy a vehicle new and keep up with all the maintenance this becomes unnecessary

1/3 in to the intake through the brake booster vacuum line, this ensures that you dont put too much into the intake at once, still gets enough in to clean everything out, and greatly reduces the risk of hydrolocking your engine (any liquid poured into the intake has the potential to hydrolock your engine DONT CHANCE IT UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Myself and the rest of us here at DF take NO responsibility if you hydrolock your engine or do any other damage by following these procedures)

Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
S@DA

I am learning this, too. Thanks guys for sharing. Is it Seafoam that magical?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
ok i do not agree with all of what was posted

standard procedure for seafoam use is as follows

1 can total

1/3 in the gas (as stated, empty tank add seafoam and fill to top, run till normal fill point and fill normally from there on out)

1/3 in the oil (do not run it in the oil for very long id say less than a full tank of gas worth of driving, the seafoam IS a chemical and while it breaks down any build up, it also changes the properties of the oil at the same time, this means it doesnt lubricate as well. DO NOT DO THIS VERY OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then of course change the oil and filter, maybe run this one on a short change interval (1/2, so 2-3k miles max) and then continue on normal intervals)
Also while you have the seafoam in the engine i wouldnt run it too hard, but take your chances as you will.

now on this step, i believe that a properly maintained engine will not have any significant build up to be cleaned out in the oil passageways ect so if you buy a vehicle new and keep up with all the maintenance this becomes unnecessary

1/3 in to the intake through the brake booster vacuum line, this ensures that you dont put too much into the intake at once, still gets enough in to clean everything out, and greatly reduces the risk of hydrolocking your engine (any liquid poured into the intake has the potential to hydrolock your engine DONT CHANCE IT UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Myself and the rest of us here at DF take NO responsibility if you hydrolock your engine or do any other damage by following these procedures)
I tried the 1/3 for all a couple of times. And it, IMPO, didn't do enough for my V8's but I follow this for my 4cyl cause there isn't alot to clean like there is in a V8...but it is a matter of opinion and personal perference. I have been doing Seafoam for 10+ years, and my father did it before me, and my Grandfather ran ATF the same way(real old school!) but what ever you are comfortable with...

Last edited by RollerRed; 11-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Still nothing beats taking off the intake and using some good old elbow grease, then you can go ahead and do the kegger mod at the same time

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Also! I only do the 1/2 to 1/2 to full can when I first buy a vehical! Just wanted to point that out...I wouldn't do this same application every 30K. I do the 1/3 all around mabey every 30-40K after that with mine. Plus I only use cheveron 89oct in my cars and trucks/SUV's so...there is that as well.
I really want to do the kegger mod, to see if it is really all that people say it is. But if I do that I would also want to step up to a big TB just for kicks!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea in todays day gas is gas so brand doesnt matter so much, all the small stations buy their gas from one of 3 (maybe 4) different companies (the same ones who sell the gas to the name brand companies) additives might be slightly different but this wont effect the way your vehicle runs in 99% of cases.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

Shrps, so would it not really matter if I gassed @ chevron (with techronŽ lol) or @ arco where I can save sometimes more than ten cents per gallon? I always try to gas @ chevron since I moved to the states, back home I always gassed @ mobil... and now I am itching to pick up some seafoam now! :-)

Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

When my plenum finally goes I'm definitely doing the kegger. There is a guy who sells on the forums and ebay port and polished tb's. He does a 50mm and a 52mm, the 50 is like $90 and the 52 about $140 plus you can get another $25 back if you send him your old one. It looks like he does good quality work, he also uses laser cut throttle blades.

Quick Reply: Just ran seafoam, got to read this!