1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just ran seafoam, got to read this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ran seafoam, got to read this!

So I was at walmart and went to grab a can of seafoam, it runs about $9. I went to grab it and right beside it was SLP cleaner, looked exactly the same as the seafoam can. So I picked it up and started to read...Was the exact same thing as seafoam so for $2 cheaper I just got it.
Got home and with the help of my fiance(kept the rpms at 1K) I poured it down the TB slowly at first then told her to shut it off as I poured a crap load in.
Weird thing happend...with the key out of the ignition the truck was still running and turning over!!!
So I yelled at my fiance to turn it off and she yelled back the keys are out! I told her to run out of the garage quick cause it sounded horrible!
Then as I ran out it died...garage was smoked out with thick black smoke.
So I said, well....might as well let it sit for 20 minutes while it does its job. Then for the 20 min I got a million questions asking what that stuff did, why did the truck sound like that, will it run now...lol fun!

Came back out and it started right up, did stumble alittle and more black smoke came out. So I took it behind my house and with a rolling start put it to 3/4 throttle and holy damn! I had 30 feet of black/white smoke pour out! Ran for about 1/4 mile till 60 then stopped. Turned around and did it again. Drove for 5ish miles and when I got back parked it. I had to stop a couple of times for lights and let me tell you, my throttle response has trippled! Amazing stuff...now I know for sure that I should do a tune up cause lord only knows how the PO took care of her...

Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well it sounds great but all the crap it knocked lose got sucked into the engine Personally I prefer to clean off the throttle body outside the vehicle, same goes for the intake manifold. You should see if the plenum has ever been fixed also.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

It's usually a good idea to change plugs after running Sea Foam too. All that buildup can to gunk them up.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

I was thinking about that...my next thing is to run it in the oil as to get all that crap it knocked lose out.

Is that where you look down the TB and see if there is oil?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:00 PM
brhodes
Professional

I've heard people swear by the stuff...I've never used it personally, but I've planned on picking some up and seeing what it's about. I know it's a mixture of pale oil, isopropanol, and naphtha (don't know the ratios, anybody?), and being a combination of 3 reasonably powerful solvents, it should get rid of anything that's not nailed down...I've been considering adding a pint of it to the crankcase of a little Neon I have to see if it'll clear up some lifter noise it has, maybe I'll remember to pick some up tomorrow.

Back "in the day", we'd use a bottle of water to clean the combustion chambers out...worked pretty good. So did trickling tranny fluid down the carb at a high idle.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Ive heard of that Atf fluid...was thinking about trying that but didn't want to chance it really.
If your going to do it i would only say using half of the bottle for your oil...any more is just a waste of it really. Now half in the oil and the other half in the intake would really scoot that neon along lol

Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RollerRed
Ive heard of that Atf fluid...was thinking about trying that but didn't want to chance it really.
Dont chance it. These dodge transmissions are real finicky when it comes to fluid. I run a can of sea foam once a year in my gas tank.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM
brhodes
Professional

Originally Posted by adukart
Dont chance it. These dodge transmissions are real finicky when it comes to fluid. I run a can of sea foam once a year in my gas tank.
I think you misunderstood. We were talking about trickling tranny fluid down the carb, back in the "old days", to clean up the combustion chamber. I'm not too keen on putting "stuff" in my transmission either

Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea i wouldnt put atf in the combustion chambers either

Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

Ok, so let me get this straight... I've read about seafoam in other threads, and actually saw it at walmart the other day when picking up some groceries. So you can actually throw this stuff into your engine with the oil, or in your gas tank, it helps clean out your systems AND won't destroy anything??? For those who don't know I am a newb "aspiring" DIY gearhead and iirc when I was younger I learned that anything besides gas in the gas tank and oil in the engine will foul things up. Shrps or anyone else, can you please explain how to use seafoam or any other cleaner of the like without harming my truck's guts? TYIA!!!

Quick Reply: Just ran seafoam, got to read this!