1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Squeek?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeek?

Ok the wife comes home last nite and says the truck is making a noise and that i need to look at it. Take it around the block and there is a squeek in the front end drivetrain. It changes pitch with speed and stops when not moving. I know the pinion seal on the front diff leaks just a bit but the fluid was full when i checked this weekend. The cv boots are all in good shape yet too. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 AM
brhodes
Professional

Sounds like a dry/bad U-joint.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

the u joints were new a few months ago when i had to replace the front driveshaft.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Dirtrango
Professional

I actually had the same problem but solved it by greasing the ball joint. And yes the pitch did get higher as speed increased but when my friend said grease them it went away. Just saying try it you might like it. LOL

Old 11-08-2011, 08:50 AM
brhodes
Professional

Originally Posted by Jason Van Order
the u joints were new a few months ago when i had to replace the front driveshaft.

New doesn't mean they can't go bad. Also, it could be the front joint on the rear shaft.

If the noise speeds up in relation to speed, it pretty much has to be a moving part in the drivetrain. U-Joints, CV joints, carrier bearing, wheel bearing....hell, could even be the wear indicator in your front brakes causing the squeaking. A general "squeaking" from the front half of the vehicle doesn't help much. Try greasing every U-joint you have and see if it goes away or changes (the noise, I mean). If it does, you know where your problem is. If not, then you can at least rule that out and move on to CV joints, bearings, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

also noise really does carry through the drivetrain making it difficult to pin down its origin without being there OUTSIDE the vehicle you could say it sounds like its coming from the front and it could be co ming fromt he rear (yes this happens, not saying its true for your case, but double check fromt he outside of the vehicle.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

well the wife stopped by the shop and i had a chance to grease everything i could. I couldnt get at 1 u joint on the front shaft and nothing else up front is greaseable. Newer u joints on the rear too but not greaseable( they were put in just before we bought it). As of right now the noise is still there. I think i will just wait it out and see if anything changes after a week or 2 of driving.

Quick Reply: Squeek?