1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HID's on the new D... what say ye?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 PM
NateDiggity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's on the new D... what say ye?

Recently got a loaded up 03 Durango for my wife. I've never owned a dodge before, mostly chevys but seems to run well, nice and smooth compared to my 3/4 ton and looks pretty sharp.

She wants better lighting. How blinding are HID's in the stock housing on these rigs? I would go with 3000k or 4300k... Nothing higher than that. I would also like to replace the fog lights with HID's also....

Any problems with going with hids on the durangos?

Any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 AM
NateDiggity

I was looking in this direction:

http://www.vvme.com/search-result?ma...1&option_31=-1

I was looking into the digital slim, its a dual bulb, hid low and halogen brights... is this what I should be looking at?

Also, will the 893 work for the fog lights?

http://www.vvme.com/search-result?ma...1&option_31=-1

Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 9007s will work.

893s are correct for the fogs.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

personally i would get clear housing if you are going with HIDs, the factory housings have a diamond shaped pattern in them that i would expect to really distort the HIDs, idk why they dont do it with the halogens, but then dont.

also make sure that the HIDs are aimed correctly once you put them in otherwise you will be guy that everyone else on the road hates for blinding them with your lows.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
personally i would get clear housing if you are going with HIDs, the factory housings have a diamond shaped pattern in them that i would expect to really distort the HIDs, idk why they dont do it with the halogens, but then dont.

also make sure that the HIDs are aimed correctly once you put them in otherwise you will be guy that everyone else on the road hates for blinding them with your lows.
I would go with the clear housing if you are going to do HID, I know from experiance that the diamond pattern cuts the distance of the lights.
If you really want to save money though why not just clean the lenses and go with silverstar bulbs? The brightest ones are great, see perfectly in most conditions. And you wont be that guy that blinds every one! Plus it stays stock, so changing them is easy, and it is one bulb!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
+1
you definitely need crystal clear lenses (the ones that are clear like plexigalss not just the clear ones like mine) and to make sure they're properly aligned otherwise you could possibly be blinding everybody.
Also it is technically illegal to use hids (in most states at least) with diamond lenses (factory for us) that aren't designed for hids because of them blinding people. You need to go with crystal clear lenses otherwise if a cop wanted to be a dick he could write you a ticket.

Originally Posted by RollerRed
If you really want to save money though why not just clean the lenses and go with silverstar bulbs? The brightest ones are great, see perfectly in most conditions. And you wont be that guy that blinds every one! Plus it stays stock, so changing them is easy, and it is one bulb!
+1
last year I replaced my old yellowed lenses with new clear ones (and the orange corner lights with clear ones) and then put silverstar ultras in. Its amazing how much brighter they are and how much farther they go (on hi beam) than normal halogens, and they look better than crystal clear lenses to me at least

Last edited by that_guy; 11-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
NateDiggity

Hmm... does anyone have a link to a set of clear lenses I would need to run hid's? Im not looking to spend a TON... just wondering whats out there

Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Dirtrango
Professional

I personally would go with this set up

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Z/H...lights/818090/

yes they are not the stock housing but they are not to expensive and come with the bulbs and from what i have heard a bright as S#!t.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
NateDiggity

Hmmm.... maybe i will just go with silverstars or the like... really wanted HID's but I find those lenses to be reallllly ugly...

Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I think these would be more to your liking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Anzo-Set...item20b9258897

Quick Reply: HID's on the new D... what say ye?