1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Dodge Durango R/T with about 125,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM
DodgeGirl91
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same skidding problem with mine. Turns out a spring popped out of the rear brake assembly.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 AM
oranrene

Thanks, Guy and Shrp...I'll be sure to have him check that out!

And I will definitely be happy to post the results! Can't wait for him to get started!!

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM
oranrene

Sorry, didn't see that post there, DodgeGirl. Thank you for mentioning that! Was it something you were able to fix yourself, or did you have to take it somewhere?

Thank you so much!!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Radar696
Rookie

I was going to mention the fan clutch also but it's already on the list.
You have said that the radiator has been replaced so the only other option would be the water pump but if it was going bad you would see excessive heat all of the time in the gauge, not just at idle.

As to the back brakes what ended up happening with my 99 was that the brake lines themselves were all full of corrosion.
It was causing excessive pressure after taking your foot off of the brake pedal and causing premature wear.
I had rebuilt the rears myself including new cylinders since one was frozen.
Did a bleed and everything but (3) months later they were shot.
Nothing but parts rattling around in one of the drums when I took it in for repair.
I had no idea at that point and wasn't going to do it again.

As to the turn signal, you never mentioned whether or not you put in a new flasher unit.
Inexpensive fix and way too easy.
You won't even get your hands dirty.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
DodgeGirl91
Amateur

Originally Posted by oranrene
Sorry, didn't see that post there, DodgeGirl. Thank you for mentioning that! Was it something you were able to fix yourself, or did you have to take it somewhere?

Thank you so much!!
I took mine in only because i had a shop replace everything.. assembly shoes drums and cylinders. It was all under warranty. Yea you can do it yourself.. pop the tire off.. pop the drum off and look and see. But make sure you know how to reassemble the springs before you go taking it apart.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Radar696
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeGirl91
I took mine in only because i had a shop replace everything.. assembly shoes drums and cylinders. It was all under warranty. Yea you can do it yourself.. pop the tire off.. pop the drum off and look and see. But make sure you know how to reassemble the springs before you go taking it apart.
With today's tech I just took photos with my phone.

Then reviewed them as I put it all back together.

Last edited by Radar696; 11-21-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like a bit small things all looking like a big picture, however with that said I would not drop $5700 bucks into it again! I would fix what you can and look at the whole picture. Maybe it is time to trade it in.....Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM
oranrene

Thanks again, everyone. I'm still waiting for him to "get the chance" to get out there and check it out! Argh! I won't forget to come back and post what worked...

Hydra: I see what you mean; however, I have weighed the pros against the cons and if the rest of my small problems can be fixed I'm keeping what I have. If I were to buy new, it would easily be six years of payments for a new 25 to 30 thousand dollar SUV with third row and leather (they are just not cheap). I know that buying a used SUV is an option, but why would I want used when I already have used. lol And I sure don't want another one and have to sink money into it in a few years. We were fortunate enough to be able to pay cash for this one but can't do that again right now.

Oh, and another reason I don't want new is, I frequent WalMart...and I can't even bear to think of the bangs and pings on a new car...I already get all fired up over the ones I keep getting now! I also have a son who will be 15 this month...and of course he will be "practicing" with my truck...just like his brother did

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 PM
CtownChris
Rookie

Oranrene; have your husband check out the "how to" videos at www.1aauto.com

Very helpful stuff.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
oranrene

Sorry it took me so long to get back, but my husband said there was something wrong with the rear drums. He went ahead and replaced everything on all four tires (whatever everything was...he told me, but I can't remember) and now they work fine!

As for it overheating, it stopped doing that on its own...not sure if it will happen again but we will address it when and if it does.

However, the wire to the blower to my AC is messing up! I'm hoping he will replace that soon because it is hot as heck already!!!

Thanks again, to all of you, for all of your help!!

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Durango R/T with about 125,000 miles