1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Dodge Durango R/T with about 125,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM
oranrene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Durango R/T with about 125,000 miles

I really need some help. A couple of years ago I spent over 5700 bucks on my SUV at my local Dodge dealership thinking I could keep her going for another few years. I had them check the whole thing over and suggest everything needed. My husband and I then told them to do the work. Now, two years later, it still runs like crap and now it overheats, the air conditioner is broken...again, two more windows came up broken only months after the repairs (which included one window repair that had been broken for years and cost 400 bucks to fix), the electrical stuff is going all whacky (blinker blinks 100 miles a minute even after changing bulb, heated seat on driver side stopped working, etc), and some other stuff I can't recall right now.

With that being said, here is the most important thing - I am scared to drive my SUV past the bus stop due to my brakes! I've nearly rear-ended a few people because of them. We had some "mobile" guy come and all he suggested was an 800 dollar brake job - don't think so, pal! So here's what it does. I apologize, as I do not know any mechanical lingo, but I will try my best:

Over two years ago I was backing out of my driveway...all of a sudden it felt like the brakes were stuck in the rear tires (this happened a few times more, but only when backing up - this was one of the things supposedly fixed). Anyway, that happened a few more times then suddenly it stopped. Then a new brake problem began nearly six months ago and has remained chronic. As you are driving, let's say 15 mph, and you need to begin stopping for your turn, I hit the brakes normally and all of a sudden the brakes start..."skidding" I guess you could say...kind of like skipping a rock on water, and sounds like, "skurt, skurt, skurt " and then the truck finally stops. Man is it scary...

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I thought it had something to do with the ABS system (considering all the electrical stuff is going nuts, maybe the ABS is, too). I'm at my wits end and tired of being stuck home, and so are my kids! My husband has searched the net and he cannot figure out why it's overheating or what the brake problem is. If he could just found out what needs to be fixed, he can fix it. I refuse to go to the dealer again...I had to drop it off four times and they keep it for a week each time! I can't do that either...I need my truck for the bus stop at least. I also can't deal with the people there because they try to argue with me every time I tell them something wasn't fixed right. At the time I was pregnant so I just let it go to not get stressed out, and decided to just never go back there.

If anyone could help I would greatly, greatly appreciate it!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Sounds to me like your rear drums are either out of adjustment or there is no shoes remaining and you are down to the rivots in the rear. If you know how, I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, remove the rear tires and hit the drum with a hammer and take the drum off. Give the hardware and shoes a good bath with a can of brake clean.

If you notice small rivots coming out of the shoes, you need new shoes. It is more than likely that the hardware is incredibly far out of adjustment and it sounds like one side is too tight and one side is too loose.

Have a professional take a look at the brakes and ask how many millimeters are left on the front pads inside and out. If he says 3mm then you need front brakes. Ask them if the rotors are turnable and if not, you need rotors too. You can get rotors from NAPA for $100 and pads for $40 from any auto parts store if that is the case.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 PM
oranrene

You are wonderful, White - thank you!!! So, do you think the mobile guy was right? If so, I have the list of all the stuff we needed (the labor was much more than the parts). I think all together it was only 300 (maybe less, can't remember) in parts. The hubby won't like it, but he will be doing it!!

Again, I really appreciate your valuable time, White!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it overheats? It only seems to overheat if we let it sit idle for a long time (like 20-30 minutes). We originally thought it was "the thing with the cap," and bought a new one of those, but it blew up at a friend's house (while sitting leaving it idle) and my hubby...errr "fixed" it with PVC (for the time being, he says...that was four months ago!).

Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oranrene
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it overheats? It only seems to overheat if we let it sit idle for a long time (like 20-30 minutes). We originally thought it was "the thing with the cap," and bought a new one of those, but it blew up at a friend's house (while sitting leaving it idle) and my hubby...errr "fixed" it with PVC (for the time being, he says...that was four months ago!).
I would be willing to bet it one of 3 things.....a stuck thermostat, a clog in the system (most likely the radiator) or the fins in the water pump are worn and not pushing the anti-freeze like it should to cool the system... i would have someone check for hot spots in the radiator first, if there are any, i would look into replacement. Either way i would flush the system, install a new thermostat, and fill with fresh anti-freeze.

Just my , hope that helps, and good luck!

Last edited by Old_School; 11-17-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yep, like Old_School said it is more than likely either a thermostat issue or a clogged radiator. Check for hot spots in the radiator (this will point you in the direction if there is a clog in it internally) and feel the upper radiator hose when it is up to temperature to see if the thermostat is opening up like it should.

Of course check the coolant level to make sure there is the right amount of coolant in the system!

As for $800 that sounds extremely iffy to me and it sounds like he gave you the worst case scenario. Just tell him that you would like to replace only what is necessary because like I said, the rear may just have lots of dust built up in the drum and not even need shoes just yet!

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 11-17-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Of course check the coolant level to make sure there is the right amount of coolant in the system!
oh yeah, DUH, my brain was thinking it but, it never told my fingers to type it...lol

Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 PM
oranrene

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I'm so excited to pass it along to my hubby (who will know). I finally feel like we might get somewhere and fix my truck so I can actually go places!!

Thanks so very much, Old School!! You guys are really great!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

about the overheating, check to make sure the fan clutch isn't shot. If you spin the fan by hand and it goes for more than 1/4 of a turn it is bad. That could cause overheating at idle/sitting still because the fan wouldn't be moving enough air

Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by oranrene
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I'm so excited to pass it along to my hubby (who will know). I finally feel like we might get somewhere and fix my truck so I can actually go places!!

Thanks so very much, Old School!! You guys are really great!!!

That's what we are here for. Keep us updated, let us know what was the fix...and of course if you have anymore question feel free to ask... glad to see your getting that R/T fixed up and keeping it on the road.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

actually 1/2 a turn on the fan is the limit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUx9O9c3lSY

and everything else said above is a great place to start, the heated seat is a pretty simple fix too, there is a DIY thread that you can do it, the fast blinkers IS a bulb out, there are multiple bulbs in the front on each side so make sure they all work,

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Durango R/T with about 125,000 miles