1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Question Stemming from Transmission Sticky Post

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be that your fluid is just low or is too full. Ensure you are checking the fill level correctly with the engine running and in Neutral.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Hydra, you were right, I don't know why, but everytime I checked my tranny fluid it looked at the right. But today I check it 4 times instead of twice, I was on minimum once the tranny got hot. Dropped a quart in and voila, no more bubbles. But the tranny still shifts a little soft, figured out what is causing my rpms to drop when i take off too. I was just messing with things and decided to listen VERY closely when I reved. Well, seems like there is a little bit of an air leak somewhere on the air cap. I have a new gasket there, but I remember the plastic nut u put on top will tighten then loosen up if you try to get it nice adn tight (threads stripped which isn't hard with a plastic nut) so, now to find that nut....

Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

he he he.......

Sometimes the easiest fix is the correct fix.

As for you next issue, on the back of the air hat is a fresh air breather, ensure it is plugged in. Also check the vacuum line on the front of the throttle body, it likes to crack.

Trans might be shiftin weak because of a worn transmission output sensor or the band needs adjustment. I would first try the output sensor. Then I would adjust the front band slightly by looking at the drivers side by the linkage and backing off the adjustment lock nut and turn the adjuster inward 1/4 turn then crank it down again.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

The back of the air hat I seen the line that you are talking about, it is plugged in. As long as you are talking about the vent hose coming from the Air Breather Cap off of the drivers said Valve Cover. I ordered a new air breather cap and vent hose today through the dealer. Have to wait until Wednesday to get the hose due to only Cleveland having it. I know it is the nut on top because of the fact that you can shake the air cap when it is "tight". You can pull it up about an 1/16th-1/8th of an inch, which is enough for too much air to get into the system and would also be why it seems it is burning rich, making the computer give it more gas to keep the ratio correct. I am pretty sure the bands need tightening. I plan on dropping the pan in a week or 2 and checking out the bands while I am at it. Where exactly is this sensor located? oh and I did check that front vent vacuum line. Looks good, thinking someone has replaced it before. Looks too good to have been on there fro 168k miles now.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

The dealer if you want the normal nut, but you can always go to home depot and get something different.

Yes I was talking about your breather, good to see you are one it.

You don't have to drop the pan to slightly adjust the front band, but you do the rear band because it is inside the pan. What I am talking about is just a slight adjustment, nothing to the book or anything! Just saying it could account for some wear that could have accompanied because of the lack of fluid.

The output transmission sensor is on the drivers side about 3/4 the way back on the transmission. When you pull it there will be a little fluid that comes out so be ready. Personally, I think just replacing the sensor will help a lot.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

I will try to get around to replacing it tomorrow (might have some extra time on my hands, due to the boss firing me for giving my 2 weeks notice lol) all depends on if he is going to or not lol

Actually made it out of the dealer today for pretty cheap:

Breather cap: 7 bucks
Breather Cap Hose: 6 bucks
Air Cap Nut: 4 bucks

Edit:

Can't replace it tomorrow: will be 1-2 weeks before Advance can get it to me. Will look a few other places.

Last edited by TurboStixx; 11-29-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

Just found this over in another forum. Someone was posting about adjusting bands on a 97 Caravan, here is an answer they got :

09-25-03 12:15 PM #3 Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most new transmissions require fluid and filter changes as Darrell mentioned. Many are electronic so the old ideas of adjusting things have become a thing of the past.

The computer does most of the "adjusting" now.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

And I don't think the bands need adjusting too much. It shifts when it is supposed to. Just noticed a little weakness/slippage. When it shifts it sits in neutral for about half a second and shifts. not hard or anything. Going to look at the TV cable again. Might help as well. U-joints I think might be gone. When I shift into reverse it likes to clunk and shift really hard, but only when it is warm....hmmm

Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

turbo, the transmission in your truck has bands in it which need to be adjusted, the 4.7 is the only engine in these trucks where the transmission is electronically controlled.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

I know I know, I was reading on another post somewhere and started laughing thought I would share. This guy honestly believes almost all newer transmissions are electronically controlled.

Quick Reply: Question Stemming from Transmission Sticky Post