1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Yes, I need more help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011 | 08:21 PM
TurboStixx
|
Captain
Default Yes, I need more help...

Ok, well I have been gone for a few days and my D is rearing her little head again.

So I have 2 issues..might be more I figure out while I am typing...

First, when I first start my truck I nice puff of smoke comes out of the exhaust. Doesn't least for more than a second or maybe 2. Any idea?

Second, I noticed today that when I first start the truck, the charging gauge on the dash takes a decent amount of time to reach 14. Like it moves SLOW. I also noticed a little bit of whining/squeaky coming from the belt area. New battery, new connections. Last time I got the alternator checked (about 2-3 weeks ago) it was pushing 14 like it is supposed to.

Any ideas? Thinking of using the Lucas Oil Treatment here soon.

Old 12-06-2011 | 09:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

1) the 'smoke' from the exhaust is most likely condesation and nothing to worry about, especially if it does it more when its cold out than when its warm.

2) when it gets cold the voltmeter will do this to some extent, you can have the alternator load tested but chances are its relatively normal behavior IME (mine does it when it gets cold every winter, usually not bad until it gets REALLY cold, 20s and below)

3) DO NOT PUT ANYTHING EXCEPT OIL IN THE CRANKCASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the lucas oil treatment, and any other oil treatment is snake oil, will do NOTHING helpful and is in fact likely to cause more problems.

Old 12-06-2011 | 10:39 PM
TurboStixx
|
Captain

What Lucas Oil Treatment is, is a thicker Oil to help with the consistency of the oil, but idk, probably not going to use it.

The Smoke is not condensation. It is smoke. We are talking 70 degrees today and it had these problems....

Old 12-06-2011 | 10:52 PM
TurboStixx
|
Captain

Also, I am/have been thinking the alternator has been having a problem, still can't keep the stereo going, it is aftermarket and I have disconnected to wires and put butt connectors on them and it still seems to have a problem, mainly when I start slowing down

Old 12-06-2011 | 11:01 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

First off is it using any oil? If so look down the TB to see if your plenum is leaking oil into the intake manifold.

Second how is the belt tensioner?

Old 12-06-2011 | 11:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i am aware of what the lucas oil stop leak is, we used it on a n old dakota which needed a new plenum gasket to get it through inspection so we could keep driving it till it got fixed, im not proud that we did that, the treatment is different from that, but still not good for your the engine.

ok if you are certain it is oil smoke (should be blueish in color) then take the airhat off the tb, open the butterfly by hand and shine a light down there, if you see oil you have a blown plenum gasket.,

as for the power issue, how are the leads going from the battery to the alternator, and from the battery to the PDC?? these cable can corrode inside the insulation and restrict current flow creating similar symptoms to a bad battery.

Old 12-07-2011 | 01:18 AM
TurboStixx
|
Captain

I will check the wires tomorrow. When I took the TB off last time, I noticed the inside of the compartment was a little filmy but nothing top bad, I will look and see, I will also check.

I am sure you know what Lucas does, not saying you don't. Every just keeps saying its condensation, and I know it is not. I know what condensation looks like, and this is not it. It is blueish in color. I noticed the other day in the dark (can't see it during the day) When I hit the gas to accelerate really quick (I was already doing 40MPH, I noticed a little smoke coming out so I am guessing the plenum gasket is blown...And where and how hard is this gasket to change? What are the effects it has on the engine if it is blown?

BTW, from what I can tell, there is no oil usage, plugs have no build-up everything is fine.

Should I pull the PCV valve and put my hand over it? if pressure builds it should show my gasket is fine, but if it causes suction, it needs to be replaced, and I just looked it up, I have to take the whole top half of the damn motor off to get to this gasket...sheesh...

Edit:
All of the pulleys seem fine. The Belt Tensioner pulley though does move when the truck is in operation, not much and not all the time, just randomly...

Last edited by TurboStixx; 12-07-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2011 | 09:16 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

that is the tensioners job tho, to move enough that the belt maintains relatively constant tension.

if the plenum is blown you will use oil, and in some cases have pinging/missing (when it gets bad of course), could have fouled plugs, and a loss of power, i have never heard of the trick you mentioned with the PCV, but that doesnt mean its no good.

Old 12-07-2011 | 05:16 PM
TurboStixx
|
Captain

Yeah I found that little trick on plenty of websites including this one in 1st Gen Durango...I do have a small miss, nothing major, but I can tell its not running straight, just a tiny bit rough. I don't know about PINGING, but I do Randomly hear a little tiny knock that kind of sounds like the exhaust when you are standing right at the tailpipe, but I hear it in the cab, but only when stopped at like a light, doesn't always happen, actually hardly has. Think I might try replacing this gasket this weekend. Will be the biggest job I have tried to tackle on any car....

Old 12-07-2011 | 05:29 PM
jetuco
Amateur

Blueish smoke means your burning oil... The squelling belt is probably slipping and not allowing the alternater to charge enuff immediately until it catches then the gauge starts going up.. If tensioner is ok, you probably need to change the belt.

Quick Reply: Yes, I need more help...