1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Shifting Problems

So to start where we left off, Hydra, you said my rear differential is out of specs and that is what is causing reverse to shift so rough. How do you get your rear diff into the correct specs? Do you have to replace the gears?

Last edited by TurboStixx; 12-09-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 AM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearing

Ok hydra, here is the new thread,

How do I get the rear diff back into spec?

Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You should have referenced the other thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-problems.html

But yes, you do not have to replace the gearing, you just need to re-adjust the backlash on the rear differential. Now you have to have a torque wrench and 32mm (if I recall correctly) bolt head and nut combo. You lift and blck the rear axle housing and remove the tires and brake drums or rotors. Now you open the rear differential cover after clearing the diff fluid and remove the axle "C" clasps that hole the axel shafts into the differential on both sides by pressing the wheel side into the differential center. The clasps will then fall and you can remove them.

Then you measure the gear backlash using a dial indicator to see if it is in specifications.

If not you first insert the 32mm / 34mm bolt and nut combo into the axle housing and slip it into the adjuster (I will have to measure the one I still have), then back off the torque on the passenger side. Then you loosen the main carrier bearing caps and turn the drivers side about a quarter turn and then take the device to the passenger side and re-torque to specifications. You then measure the backlash on the gears. You play with it and tighten everything back to torque as specified when you are back in line with the manual. Then check gearing mesh with compound to re-ensure correct gear alignment.

Then you put it back together and no more clunk.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...c-lok-lsd.html

Last edited by hydrashocker; 12-10-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 12-10-2011, 02:34 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

They'll get you edumincated on how forums work there turbo.

Quick Reply: Gearing