1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Not a good sound...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 AM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not a good sound...

Ok guys, since we figured out the smoking is probably normal I breathed easy for a little bit...UNTIL "knock knock knock."

Sitting at a stop light (and it is off and on and doesn't always do it).

It honestly sounds like the exhaust, but it is coming from the motor. So I am sure it isn't the exhaust, and just has to do with one or two cylinders. Any ideas on what to check first?

I will say the oil pressure seems funny to me. It is in the normal range, but really high idling. Sometimes it is low idling, but it never goes above the picture below, but the picture below is at idle right after start up!

Name:  Image12162011165554.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  89.0 KB

btw, I forgot who said how to do it on a post last week (either shrp or that_guy) but i adjusted the shifter marker for the dash, and made it line up with every gear, appreciate that advice, never knew it!

I have confiscated a garage now, so I am not working out in the parking lot of my townhouse community where the HOA might get mad at me, so I have more room to figure out whats up!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if that is the first start of the day then the oil pressure WILL be a little on the high side, cold oil doesnt flow as easily (higher viscosity), give us a picture of where it sits when at idle warmed up, mine sits just above the left hash mark.

also if it is reading high consistently it could very easily be your oil pressure sending unit, when mine went bad this summer it would NOT drop to zero when the key was turned off, and added that much pressure to the reading i was idling about where yours is, and it was reading very high while driving.

in this picture it wasnt quite warmed up all the way, i had only driven a few miles (had gone out to get the paper, and it was in the winter)

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

That is warmed up....I had driven to my moms from work (about 2-3 miles) and I was there for 10 minutes MAX. I will drive it today since I have some work to do, and once it warms up COMPLETELY and I know it is warm I will take a picture.

Thinking of adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge if I can figure out how to do it.....

Last edited by TurboStixx; 12-17-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:29 AM
laz45
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 4.7 did the same once in a while.Didn't have to a cold first of the day start,sometimes on a warm motor but it had the same higher than normal oil pressure reading and made top end noise,like tappets or timing chains....Mine had a good puff of smoke also. After I got the cheap oil filter off and installed a new pcv valve it did it a couple times and then went away.Not sure which,or if both played a part but I kinda think the old pcv was sticking and caused it...

Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the pressure turbo, even hot at Idle i'm sitting at 38psi minimum since I put synthetic back in. What kind of oil and filter are you using?

Old 12-17-2011, 03:05 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

@ laz - Changed the PCV valva last weekend, maybe the hose that connects it needs to be cleaned? Looked like the factory PCV valve when I took it off.....and btw laz, you just decribed everything my truck is doing..to a T

@ adukart- Running Penzoil Oil, well just put half a quart of castrol in it last weekend ot top it off, oil filter..not sure. I had jiffy lube change it. I had no where to go to be able to change it, but now that I confiscated a garage i do!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't complain about over oil pressure or even that number. You are in the normal area and I have the same pressure. Your truck is fine and with that said back off a little.

BTW<----- I watched my battery voltage the other morning and it was a hell of a lot slower then yours coming up. Your truck again is fine.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

ok

I am just the type of person who over thinks things. The knocking noise is what worried me the most, and so when I saw the oil pressure high, I thought maybe the gauge was off, maybe the truck is broken, HOLY HELL ITS GOING TO BLOW lol.

but...I guess it isn't going to lol

Old 12-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboStixx
I had jiffy lube change it.

Personally, i would stay away from that joint.... i have seen them do some pretty stupid sh*t and the horror stories to follow. Maybe its just my local one but, to each there own.....

Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Gambit505
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
Personally, i would stay away from that joint.... i have seen them do some pretty stupid sh*t and the horror stories to follow. Maybe its just my local one but, to each there own.....
No it's all of them. Had a friend work at one here and all I could ever say when I was there was "wow did he really just do that?"

Quick Reply: Not a good sound...