1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need help asap! Wont start at all!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 PM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap! Wont start at all!

So after work today I tried to start my D, sounded like the battery was kinda low cause it did the "loop...looop" then started. I thought well it has been 20 out all day and I did leave it in the snow so mabey it was just cold. Drove about 10 miles and got to walmart. Got in and out in less the 15 min. Went to start the D again...Nothing. I get one click and it just doesn't do anything at all.
So I tried to jump her, still nothing. My battery is good, only 9 months old...
Anyone? I think the starter is blown but I couldn't get a good look cause there was freezing rain and it sucked!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the connections first and foremost! In Wal-mart they sell a terminal cleaner for about $3 bucks, use it.

Next it could be the battery.

Lastly the starter. Here is some info to see what is going on:
Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Test the voltage with the key in the on position across the battery posts (not terminals) and have someone turn the key to start (engaging the starter) and read the voltage drop across the battery posts (not terminals). If you see it drop down about 1.4 volts or so the solenoid is gone and grounding or bad contacts so you will need a starter. If nothing then it's a bad connection. Check the terminals and connecting points on both ends.
Here is how to do it:
www.dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/187021-starter-diy-5-9l-and-5-2l.html

Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah basically the most simple way to break it down. Battery seems fine but its always good preliminary action to check both connections and voltage as well as corrosion that may be present on the connections to and from the starter and battery.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Got it, I have to get back over there tomarrow and see what is wrong...The tow guy is gonna be there around 12 so I am gonna try to get there before if possible. It is stuck 8 miles from me house though...got to ride the bus, suck!
I will have to get some terminal cleaner, and grab my wrench as well just to be safe there...
My wife asked if my battery was frozen...lol I do love her!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Frozen_Joker
Rookie

Had the same thing happen to me once. Just bought new terminals, cleaned the corrosion off real good with a toothbrush and coke, and tightened it down nice it tight. She was good to go again.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:40 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Update:
I went out and got some of the terminal cleaner and a brass wire brush. Sprayed it on and waited a min the scratched off as much as I could. Wiped it down and went to start it, nothing...
Then for some odd reason I stepped on the brakes and tried again...started right up.
Is there a safty switch going on here? I thought this was really weird personally...but I let her run about 15 min then drove off no problem. Stopped somewhere and it started right up again...If it is a safety switch I am gonna feel like an idiot...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no brake safety switch for starting that i know of or have ever encountered, only for shifting out of park

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Maybe the battery was just recharging....and yeah i would think that they have one for shifting.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Frozen_Joker
Rookie

Check out the neutral safety switch. I know to start mine, I have to put it in Neutral. But it doesn't really inconvenience me. Lol.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

Rollerred, you said your wife asked if your battery was frozen..it is possible, however in 20 degree weather it is unlikely, has to be really really cold for a battery to freeze, but it has happened!

Quick Reply: Need help asap! Wont start at all!