1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another Speedometer, ABS and Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM
RobbC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Speedometer, ABS and Brake light issue

First I have a 2001 Durango SLT. I have seen Other posts about this issue and some solutions. As stated in other posts, I changed the speed sensor in the differential. The speedometer actually worked again for about half a block.

At this point it was like the brakes automatically engaged and it made a squealing noise for a few seconds. The speedometer stopped working again and the check engine light came on. The brake and ABS light comes on if I drive it but isn't on each time I start it. The code for the check engine light is P0500, which I know is the speed sensor issue.

On a side note, was this year Durango equipped with keyless entry or was it offered as an option?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor again as well as the Output Speed Sensor. Reset the PCM and try (take the speed sensor you changed and have them defect it out and give you a new one)

Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

defintely sounds like your output speed sensor is bad and took the new rw sensor with it.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM
RobbC

Thank for the info. I will try that today.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
RobbC

UPDATE: I replaced the output speed sensor, input speed sensor, and the ABS speed sensor again. The ABS speed sensor I had just put in a couple days ago had a piece of the plastic housing missing when I removed it.

I still have no speedometer. I didn't drive it very far so no lights came on.

I am at a loss and worried about driving it anymore with the possibility of a chunk of plastic in the differential. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would open the differential up (good time to change the fluid) and check with a flashlight if the piece of plastic is in there. Only way to check unfortunately :-(

After you replaced all the sensors did you reset the PCM? Might be the reason you don't have speedo, not sure. Be sure to check the connections to the ABS Speed sensor.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
RobbC

Yeah I reset the PCM. I have driving the vehicle the last two days using my GPS as a speedo. I will make sure that I got the connection tight.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

you definitely have to open up the rear diff and get the piece(s) out of there, if you dont it could chew up the gears(i am going with the assumption that there is more than just plastic broke off since something had to hit and damage the sensor).

You need to drain the fluid and clean out any debris and refill with fresh fluid, hopefully whatever is floating around in there did not take out another new sensor

Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
RobbC

I guess no school for me tomorrow, darn, lol.

I hope there isn't too much messed up in there. I'll update once I get things opened up and cleaned out.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

also have to ask if you reset the computer (disconnect battery neg cable, hold key to start for 30 seconds, reconnect negative battery cable) after you replaced the sensors?

Quick Reply: Another Speedometer, ABS and Brake light issue