1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

mysterious coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
lemon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mysterious coolant leak

Howdy fellow dodge owners I seem to have a mystery on my hands maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I have a 99 durango 5.9l about 10 days ago I was having overheating problmes and when I popped the hood I had coolant running out from the bottom of the water pump. I replaced the pump and figured I was golden but I seem to be leaking about a gallon of coolant a day now. I dont see it comming from the water pump, upper or lower hose, or anywhere that I can see. There is a small amount comming out of the hose on the top of the water pump, (I think the heater hose) but it doesnt appear to be enough to cause the fluid loss I'm having. I am able to see it drip from the bottom and I'm able to tell it's in the front of the vehicle but I'm totally at a loss to see where it's comming from, when I look in from the top I can see a lot of coolant all over but I don't see a stream or a drip anywhere. Any help you could give me, places to look, parts to remove, possible cause, anything will help, thanks guys...

Oh, and an after thought it also runs at about 170 degrees I'm not sure what thermostat is in it and I've gotten a new 192 tstat that I'll replace once I get the above figured out I know heater cores in this model are garbage when they are this old I'm assuming it's not a project for non mechanic like myself. If I could get your thought on this as well it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by lemon; 01-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:56 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a hose or the water pump. Cause the fan is what would throw the water every where. Not the heater core, the heater core is in your dash.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried running the engine and inspecting the hoses and pump while its running to see if coolant is squirting everywhere? I had a buddy with this problem and it was a leak coming from a hose that would expand when the car was running.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
lemon
Amateur

Originally Posted by otgarzā
Have you tried running the engine and inspecting the hoses and pump while its running to see if coolant is squirting everywhere? I had a buddy with this problem and it was a leak coming from a hose that would expand when the car was running.

Actually today when I checked it the engine was hot because my wife had just gotten home. I looked in the front and both sides with a flashlight for about 20mins with the engine running trying to catch the culprit. The only place I could find any fluid come out of at all was the bypass hose which quickly evaporated and wouldn't really come out unless i wiggled it. I'm sure it's because of heat but really there wasnt fluid on the pullys or anything just all around on the bottom under the radiator. Would there be enough pressure while it's being driven to push out enough fluid there to creat the kind of coolant loss I'm having? Tomorrow I'll pull the water pump back off and get the ac and alternator off and dbl check everything I'm not sure what else to do not being able to see the flud comming from anywhere is frustrating. Just guessing but I changed the water pump and now fluid is still comming out the safe bet is I didnt do it right rather than there just all of the sudden be another problem with the same system.

As far as the front of the vehicle fluid could leak from the hoses, the water pump and? or is that it? Assuming it's not running out of the radiator itself

Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Hmm well if its under the radiator make sure to check that for any visible cracks also check around the thermostat for leaks. The heater hose...is it loose on the clamp or it leaks because it has a slit in it? And is it still overheating? and im assuming that there is no coolant leaking from or around the water pump. It is normal for the coolant to evaporate when it leaks out when the engine is at operaing temp or higher so that maybe where its disappearing.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Mine was the bypass hose, it should be done with the pump. The heater hose needs a new o-ring that should have been in the box. The hose stretch on the other two I compensated with new band clamps instead of stock.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Originally Posted by lvphotos
Mine was the bypass hose, it should be done with the pump. The heater hose needs a new o-ring that should have been in the box. The hose stretch on the other two I compensated with new band clamps instead of stock.
+1 on this

Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
lemon
Amateur

Originally Posted by lvphotos

I meant to get a new o ring for the heater hose but I didn't, I REALLY hope thats the issue but I doubt it. I didnt do the bypass hose because when I did the pump I didn't remove the ac/alternator because I figured I'd never get it all back on right I'm not all that mechanical. I'll toss a few new clamps on the hoses, and get that o ring installed and give it a day if not I'll tear it a part and hope for the best. It's SOOOO frustrating to know it's leaking but only while I'm not looking LOL I suppose I could stick a video camera in there and then it shouldn't ever leak right? cuz I'll be watching .

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 PM
lemon
Amateur

Originally Posted by lemon
I meant to get a new o ring for the heater hose but I didn't, I REALLY hope thats the issue but I doubt it. I didnt do the bypass hose because when I did the pump I didn't remove the ac/alternator because I figured I'd never get it all back on right I'm not all that mechanical. I'll toss a few new clamps on the hoses, and get that o ring installed and give it a day if not I'll tear it a part and hope for the best. It's SOOOO frustrating to know it's leaking but only while I'm not looking LOL I suppose I could stick a video camera in there and then it shouldn't ever leak right? cuz I'll be watching .
Welp after 2 trips to get a right o ring from o riely I've got it back on right and I added a bit of silicone for good measure and as of yet no leaks.. I checked the underside of the water pump with a little angled mirror dohickey and there didnt seem to be any residue of anytype so it would seem that I can rule any other locations on the pump as the culprit. I checked the hoses and such but the only place I could get fluid from was that heater hose so my fingers are crossed. Thanks for your comments guys they were much appreciated.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 PM
otgarzā
Captain

No problem and hope everything works out with those lousy leaks. Let us know how everything goes

Quick Reply: mysterious coolant leak