1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Coil

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Russ50
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I unhook the wires at the plug that is on the top of the fram behind the drivers side wheel an the wires goes to the gas tank,,,,,,, I still have the same prob,, So I traced the Red wire with a White stripe going from the PDC box an from the #17 fuse all the way over to the computer box,,, I unplug the wire from the computer box an now the test light is doing what it is pos to do (won't light up ) So I think that my computer box is what the prob is,,, I can't find out if this one wire goses in the computer box then back out someplace else,,,,,,

Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Russ50
Professional
Default Hey again

Originally Posted by Old_School
Did you check ALL the fuses under the hood in the PDC and in the panel by the drivers door??? IIRC, in 98 there are a few fuses on the drivers kick panel inside the truck under the dash.. there a PITA to get to..

It really sounds like it is a bad fuse or relay.. another thing you can do to test the relay is pull another one, say from the horn and put it in the fuel pump slot.. if it corrects it then replace the relay...

also one last thing.... when you say you checked all the fuses and they where good... did you visually check them or check them with a meter?? sometime a fuse can "look" ok but it is really blown.. had that happen to me a few times.
Hey,, Can ya get with me when ya can,, I was going to send ya a email but don't have the right email add I guess,, Hope to hear from ya,, Thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would first check the battery terminals and cables as well. When mine went out id acted the same, tho I did not electric test it.

Short of that, you might be looking at a PCM issue.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Just came across something of interest. On my old 1998 Durango when thumbing for pictures on this and came up with a picture of my PDC and label. There is a fuse in there under #17 that states "JTEC/FUEL PUMP" and it is 20 AMP. Swap this fuse with a different one.

Also swap out the ASD relay with one of the same number like the "A/C CLUTCH" relay.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Russ50
Professional

Thanks hydrashocker,, I already did that an even put in new ones,,, let me try this one more time an see if anybody understand ,,lol,, When in the PDC box,, Looking at the # 17 fuse which is a 20amp jtec/ Fuel pump,,,, Took that fuse out like I did them all an put my test light on it, I ground one end at the ground on the Batt.,,,, The other end on the left prong an it lights up ( all are pos to light up at all times cause those are the hot side ) When I put my test light on the right side of the prong my tester don't light up,,,,, Now when I turn the key on an have my test light on the right side prong it lights up even with no fuse in it,, So that means I have 2 hot prongs at the same time for the same fuse when the key is on,, So don't that means there is a short someplace ??? I have unpluded everything that gose to that # 17 fuse an it still lights up,,, So I found out which plug at the PMC box an I un pluged it an then my test light goes out,, So I am thinking that the PMC box is bad,, So,,,, I took my PDC box apart to look inside,,,, # 17 fuse has the Red wire with a White stripe on it,,, I cleaned where the prongs are to make sure the 2 prongs are not touching each other in there so I do know for fact that my PDC box is not the cause of this prob,,,,,,, Let me know what anybody thinks on this write up,, I mite be able to rewrite it better,,,,, Thanks,,

Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

It makes sense, at least to me.

See, these builds like to use a positive ground and well as a positive lead when not in use. It's hard to understand but that is how Dodge made em because they also power other things. I don't know about this one in particularly, but I've battled it before.

With that said, I think you are on the right track and I would replace the PCM. There are mail order sites on Ebay that will send you a pre-flashed PCM for direct replacement. Cost is around $200. Make sure you have all the information. You need year, engine, mileage, and all that!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Russ50
Professional

Ok All,,, I do want to thank all u guys for ya help on trying to get my D running again,, Well I just want all to know that I did order a use PCM or ECM I do think it is the ECM box which I call the computer box that sets on passenger side fender,, Ok I got a use one in mail today,, I bolt er in an plug up the 3 whire plugs,, Then hook up my batt. an pop out the #17 fuse,, I put my light tester on it like I did before on the right prong an light didn't come on,, wow wee cool,,,lol,, So I pop the fuse back in an got in my D an turn key on an my gas gage an others did move like they pos to,, So now I turn the key to start the motor an pow there she goes,, Runs fine now,, But still have bad gas in it an it starts then dies cause I mean it is really bad,, But going to try an get it out of the tank,,, So this prob is solve now,, Thanks again all,,,,

Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

PCM is what you replaced

and thanks for letting us know what the final solution was.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hoping it would all work out for you...

Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Russ50
Professional

Yea I was hopeing it would too,,lol,, An also I didn't have to get the PCM box program,, It was for the same year an all with all the numbers match up it fired right up,,lol Thanks again,,

Quick Reply: Coil