1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Spare Tire Cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012 | 10:57 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

So how did you make out with this? Mine fell off on a major road while driving. It wasn't pretty. Oddly enough, under my D looks exactly like yours, frayed busted cable & all. Did you get it fixed? How difficult was it?

Old 04-30-2012 | 11:24 PM
Durango03
|
Veteran

Man. I haven't even messed with it yet. I know when I tried to break the bolts loose they wouldn't budge. So I assumed the junkyard ones would be the same. With gas going up and everything else going up except my paycheck, I'm not buying a new cable yet. So for now I have my spare in the back of the D. I'm afraid to try the above mentioned solution of pinching the current cable down since its zoo rusted. Maybe this wknd I can try the bolts again. I will keep you guys posted and take pics as needed.

02 Durango. I hope you didn't hurt anything too bad, yourself or anyone else!

Old 05-01-2012 | 01:26 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

It was quite funny in retrospect: driving at night, heard a bump, looked in the rear view & saw my tire laying in the road! Thank goodness traffic was light. It was a divided highway so I had to get to a U-turn & wait for the light to go back. On the way back there was a guy in a minivan pulled over, trunk open, stealing my tire! I layed on the horn hoping to get his attention, but of course having to wait for another light to make the necessary U-turn, he was gone when I got there. I was MAD.

I took off after him (didn't even see him in the distance) because I knew the road split about 4 miles down & I wouldn't know which way he went. Had to do 75 in the 50 zone, but about 1000ft from the "Y" there he was. Musta scared the crap outta him when this crazy woman pulled level with him, screaming: "that's my tire!!!" He took 1 look at me & pulled over. It being night I took a risk, but got my spare back, lolz

BTW, use PB blaster on those bolts for about a week or so. I'm gonna start on mine now.

Old 05-02-2012 | 08:10 PM
Durango03
|
Veteran

Im gonna try those bolts again this weekend. If they dont crack loose, Im just gonna say F-it and keep the spare in the back..... or throw it on the roof!

Old 05-03-2012 | 07:59 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

Neither is a viable option for me

Old 05-06-2012 | 03:14 PM
Durango03
|
Veteran

Ok. The PB blast worked. I got my 3/8 socket wrench on it with a 13mm socket and tapped it with my 1/2 wrench and it slowly broke the bolts loose. Wow that thing was rusted all to hell!! I can send pics if anyone wants to see. Now I need to call Dodge and see what a new one cost vs. one from eBay.

Old 05-06-2012 | 09:11 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

I'm interested in seeing the price comparison. I'm watching 3 on ebay, but if Dodge is cheaper (unlikely) I might go that way. Keep us posted.

Old 05-07-2012 | 08:39 PM
Durango03
|
Veteran

Dodge wants $125. If I cant score one from eBay or somewhere else I may just have to bite the bullet.

To top it all off my headlight **** broke off lastnight. Dodge doesnt sell JUST the ****, so I guess Junkyard here I come!

Old 05-08-2012 | 10:21 AM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

ebay is far less than that - & some of them are BIN. You'll get it. Just don't go for the guy who has the lowest item price + $25 shipping. He comes out far ahead in total cost.

(Note to self: go get one from ebay NOW!)

Old 06-27-2012 | 02:23 PM
Pedro Faria
Amateur

Originally Posted by Durango03
Finally got a weekend off and was able to crawl up underneath the D. My cable doesnt quite look like the pic listed previously. And mine is also Rusted as hell.

so i the winch off of ebay came in today, and i have a quick question on this.

the manual says the bolts are accessible from above. is it from the inside of the truck or between the frame and the body? or is it all done from below?

haven't had a chance to get under and look yet.

thanks

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Cable