1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Spare Tire Cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Cable

My cable broke yesterday on the way home, wow what an experience. My question is, Is it a whole unit that is bolted in? Is it easily replaceable? I really dont want to ave to carry it in the cargo area!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

The whole winch comes as an assembly, no idea on how hard it is, can't be too bad of a job. Here's one on eBay just for example, it is the right part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-DURANG...207#vi-content

Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

based on that picture its just a couple of bolts, the hard part will be getting to them.

EDIT: FSM confirms, a couple bolts and the 'driveshaft' that you turn from inside

see 2002 factory service manual page 1846

Old 02-11-2012, 09:20 PM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my truck with the wire snapped since someone decided to steal it. I have a spare tire just need the actual rim and winch. Should probably do it soon as well.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i made a new one for a buddy. his cable broke at the spare tire end and he lost the wheel anchor piece. i cut a piece of flat bar about 5 inches long to fit inside the lug area. drilled 2 holes, threaded in the stock cable. looped it, clamped it, done.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

Personally....I wouldn't even worry to much about it. When do you ever really need your spare? I am thinking I am just gonna take mine out and run an air comp there instead. But that is just me....

Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Russ50
Professional

Hey RollerRed,,, hahaha hahaha,,, I hear ya about the spare but man o man,, Everybody should have there spare tires with them even if ya have just got new tires put on,, I have been there,,,lol,, Not trying to make a joke here but really should keep a spare tire in truck or car,,, Ya just NEVER KNOW when ya will have a flattire or even driven on the highways an folks just let things fall off there trailers or trucks, Like roofing nail,, Wood with nails in em,, Even the cimi's that haul scrap cars has bolts an stuff falling out an very hard to see,, Even if ya see it in front of you an at time just can't move around em cause its to late,, This is just my say so but I have seen a LOT of polks setting on side of the roads with a flat tire an don't have a spare so have to wait for tow trucks to come get em then that cost ya money an lots of time,,lol,,

Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yup the spare tire is there for a reason, its a safety net, you dont use it often, however when you dont have it is when you will need it the most, just ask my mother, she got a flat last week, put the spare on, gave the tire to my grandfather to take to the shop and have it patched, got another flat the next day when she didnt have a spare. bad luck? definitely, but then thats the way it always seems to work, you need the spare most often when you dont have it(either that or when you are dressed up and going to some fancy event lol)

Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

or when its 10 below zero and snowing sideways (ask me how I know). Anyway definitely keep your spare tire.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

True true...But thats why I have AAA. Now if I got out on a trip, or crazy snow storm, etc. Yea I would thorw it in the back just to be safe. But my spare is the wrong size so it would really throw my truck off.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Cable