1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Dodge Durango SLT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM
C0lt0n
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Durango SLT

Okay so I just got a dodge durango slt with the 5.9L engine 4wd automatic.
Iv had it for a coulple of days i traded my jeep for it. Well the other day i got up and was gonna do the regular busy day we all have. Went over to it and tried to start it, had nothing. So we jumped started it took awhile but got it running. Ran all day started and shut it off maybe 3 or 4 different times. Ran and started like a normal vehicle. Untill today. Went out like a normal busy day and tried to start it, and again nothing. So my friend came over and jumped it for me then we took it to another buddys house. Jumped it again and again and again. The last time we jumped it the batter meter stayed just above 14 then we took jumper cables off and it sky rocketed up to 18 and the check guages light popped on in the cluster. So we put a different battery in it jumped it once again. and took it to ge the alternator tested. It read nothing. So got it home and parked it. Came back to it later. Put the battery on charger and charged it all the way up and tried to start it. Nothing at all. Then disconnected it and tried again this time it just turned on all the cluster lights and I heard clicking from the relays or something underneath the hood, and the glove box. What causes all this?

Oh and when I first got it i meesed with all the options power seats n stuff and the rear window wiper. It didnt work it was stuck so i figured this was left stuck on draining the battery. Unscrewed the panel and pulled it down touched the rear wiper motor and it was warm and so i unplugged it. Im just confused on why all the lights in the guage clusters are coming on and all the clicking is happening. I mean wouldnt it start with a full battery? I hope someone can help me I really love this durango.
Thanks guys!!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 PM
C0lt0n

Anybody?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

dude, ONE HOUR IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO GET AN ANSWER ON THESE FORUMS

we are here to help in our free time, we dont sit around and wait for questions to show up.

now about your problem.

1) once a battery goes dead in these trucks it wont hold enough of a charge to run the truck properly, you need to replace the battery with a new one (the over charging also points to a bad battery 18v on the voltmeter)

2) put a volt meter on the battery while the truck is running you should have 14.4 volts across the terminals

3) how clean are the battery connections? if they are clean and corrosion free next check is are the battery cables clean and corrosion free? (this includes the cables going to the alternator, they can corrode under the insulation and cause problems similar to a bad battery.

4) check for the current draw on the battery when the system is in the off state (put an amp meter in the line, key off, key out of ignition doors closed, see what the draw is, it should be VERY LOW, probably on the scale of milliamps.)

Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 PM
C0lt0n

We put a fully charged battery on there, didnt power off just battery. We jumped it too but we got it to start and the battery stayed at 14v or little above on the meter. It most likely is my alternator but i was just explaining my whole symtoms of my durango. But now I turn the key with charger on it and it flashes all the lights on the cluster guage and clicking underneath my hood. and theres also something clicking near my glove box. Im new to this vehicle so I will be learning as i go thanks for any advice.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
C0lt0n

Nevermind I got it all fixed now.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

Originally Posted by C0lt0n
Nevermind I got it all fixed now.

what was the problem?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM
C0lt0n

The previous owner had one of them quick connect battery terminals on it and it didnt get enought connection to do anything. Got my alternator tested and it passed, so bought new battery put it in and nothing. So went and bought new terminals and that was the problem. Such a simple thing haha. All good for now.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

glad you got it figured out

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Durango SLT