1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Popping/Binding in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Hunter_Green5.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmess
Just because the boots on the cv look fone doesnt mean it is. Try and wiggle it around a little by hand. It shouldn't move. If it does then there's your problem.
I get some slight in and out play....should there be no play at all???

Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It is possible for bind when going in a straight line if your tires aren't exactly the same size (ex different wear). Unless you have an awd t-case (which I believe we established you don't) you shouldn't drive it on dry pavement at all in 4wd. Try driving it off the road and see if you are still having problems.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Hunter_Green5.2

Originally Posted by that_guy
It is possible for bind when going in a straight line if your tires aren't exactly the same size (ex different wear). Unless you have an awd t-case (which I believe we established you don't) you shouldn't drive it on dry pavement at all in 4wd. Try driving it off the road and see if you are still having problems.
I still have the problems off the road now its getting like a grinding/pebbles being thrown around in the t-case so I think that it needs a new t-case....and I have one question what is the hole idea of a part time 4wd?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter_Green5.2
I still have the problems off the road now its getting like a grinding/pebbles being thrown around in the t-case so I think that it needs a new t-case....and I have one question what is the hole idea of a part time 4wd?
The dash says part time 4wd and full time 4wd. Now with the t-case you have you don't have a FT position but what it does is to allow the front to turn at a different rate than the rear, allowing any binding during turning to release without the front wheels hopping by means of the T-case which is set up like a differential. That is why it is FT or AWD. PT locks the front and rear together so that the binding doesn't have anywhere to go and causes excess wear on parts that is why you only use it in slippery conditions. Now your 241 isn't set up like a differential, just a normal T-case.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
jmess
Veteran

i would do a fluid change in the the t-case and see if theres any bits of metal in the old fluid. wouldnt be a bad idea to do the same on both difs as well

Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is possible you may have a bad wheel bearing. My driver side went out. I can feel a slight vibration coming from the front when driving on hwy. And when I brake and turn, I can hear something not right such as popping noises.

Replace driver side wheel bearing and all issues disappeared.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Has the rear or front axle been changed by a PO? If so the gears in the front and rear end may be different causing the transfer case to bind up

Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM
jmess
Veteran

Originally Posted by mikeismadness
Has the rear or front axle been changed by a PO? If so the gears in the front and rear end may be different causing the transfer case to bind up
forgot about that. and on hat note, are all 4 tires the same size?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

That's also a good point. There's a lot of factors involved in why the transfer case or 4x4 will bind up

Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Hunter_Green5.2

turns out bad t-case chain and gears so just got it back today for being rebuilt so it will be back in tomorrow. Also i just ordered a 3inch lift and i was told the only people that make shocks for a 98 durango with a 3inch lift is this true???