1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

10.9 MPG!? also losing power (feels like ruinng out of gas)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
unknownfailer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 10.9 MPG!? also losing power (feels like ruinng out of gas)

Okay so gas prices could possibly reach to five bucks a gallon!! and I am only a job-less 17 year old lol. So that could leave my Durango practically useless. It's a 5.2l slt everything stock, transmission was replaced a few months ago with new trans fluid and filter.
I know tire psi can make a big differences but I don't safely know the right amount to put in, Right now I have about 30-32 psi in all of them cold.

Also another big issue is that sometimes (mostly in warm weather) the engine spits and spudders going up hills and sometimes just driving on flat roads. It never actually stalled but felt like it was going too. I really don't Know how to explain it, kinda like it's running out of gas, like I'm losing power to the point that I'm almost at a compete stop (with the gas pedal down!)

any help would be great!

If Gas doesn't get cheaper, I guess I'll be driving the van! lol

Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for PSI on the tires, read the side of your tire, it will tell you, and if you have the stock size tire on the truck, then look on the sticker on the door jamb, and it will also tell you the PSI (stock tires I believe are 32-35psi), however my 31/10.50s are 50 PSI MAX so I set them at 45 psi

You stalling issue is the TPS sensor. Mine did that when I first bought it (feels like you are driving a durango with an outboard bass boat motor attached) Try replacing the TPS and reseting the PCM, will porbably take care of your problem.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
unknownfailer

Thanks for the response! My tires say they are "31x10.50RTLET" so I assume it's the same as your tires. It also says the max PSI is 50 cold so should I just 45psi like you did?

Well I never really been in a bass boat with a outboard motor attached to it so I don't know exactly how yours acted but the TPS sensor seems to be a probable cause. Was your issue weather temperature related? or did it happen all the time?

thanks.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened most of the time, more so when it was warm, feels like not getting fuel, are the Rpms a little crazy acting? Any problem while idling?

I put my tires at 45 because mine just says 50 max, nothing about cold, I would put your tires between 45-50psi will help more than you think lol, your tires are almost low enough to drive in the sand at the beach (25 psi)

Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Inside the door jamb on the drivers side it will tell you the inflation pressure (mine says 35, you could possibly go to 38-40). As for the stalling I would do an ignition tune up. Cheap champion copper plugs, new wires, cap and rotor (brass contacts). That is where I would start.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
unknownfailer

Originally Posted by adukart
Inside the door jamb on the drivers side it will tell you the inflation pressure (mine says 35, you could possibly go to 38-40). As for the stalling I would do an ignition tune up. Cheap champion copper plugs, new wires, cap and rotor (brass contacts). That is where I would start.
okay, so I'll probably go 40 on all just to stay safe. since I'm poor and not very great at auto mechanics, could you tell me out of those things you listed, what could possibly the most important piece that could be causing the lack of power/ hiccuping?

thanks!

Last edited by unknownfailer; 02-26-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

I would basically just do as listed and do a tune up and replace the tps sensor. Then I would just run a bottle of seafoam threw the gas tank as well just for kicks.
Replacing the plugs, wires, cap and rotor is not very hard...took me 45 min only because I used msd wires and it took me a bit to figure out which were which.

Also if you replace one thing in the ignition you should replace them all...you will just cause more problems if you dont. A basic tune up will cost you $40 or so if you do it yourself.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
unknownfailer

Originally Posted by TurboStixx
Happened most of the time, more so when it was warm, feels like not getting fuel, are the Rpms a little crazy acting? Any problem while idling?

I put my tires at 45 because mine just says 50 max, nothing about cold, I would put your tires between 45-50psi will help more than you think lol, your tires are almost low enough to drive in the sand at the beach (25 psi)
~Mine does it whenever I just start it up on a warm day, It usually doesn't do it when it's really cold (20F) but in the afternoon (50~60F) it will act up

~ No, I really never saw anything to weird with the RPMS, All I know is when It starts happening you have to start pumping the accelerator just to keep little power and the rpms stay around 1-2 (going up a hill! )

~and lol yeah I don't even live near beaches lol So I'll probably set'em to 40psi or so

thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Doesn't really sound like tps to me. I think it sounds like an ignition problem. When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? How about plug wires? Could also be an O2 sensor, bad fuel, etc...

Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 PM
unknownfailer

Originally Posted by RollerRed
I would basically just do as listed and do a tune up and replace the tps sensor. Then I would just run a bottle of seafoam threw the gas tank as well just for kicks.
Replacing the plugs, wires, cap and rotor is not very hard...took me 45 min only because I used msd wires and it took me a bit to figure out which were which.

Also if you replace one thing in the ignition you should replace them all...you will just cause more problems if you dont. A basic tune up will cost you $40 or so if you do it yourself.
okay, that doesn't sound to hard, I may give it a look-see next weekend.

thanks!

Quick Reply: 10.9 MPG!? also losing power (feels like ruinng out of gas)