1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

AWD does not work, 4hi works fine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM
ecenkush
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD does not work, 4hi works fine?

Hello everyone,
I have a 2002 dodge Durango 4.7 V8, It has 4x4 and you can change your selection via a switch. The options on my switch are AWD, 4HI, 4LO. I can drive normally in 4HI, but for some reason when I switch to AWD, the light indicating AWD works fine. However the vehicle acts as if its in neutral. I can shift through all the gears ( P N R D 1 2) on the column, but it changes nothing, the truck acts as if its in neutral. If i rev the engine during this it sounds god awful like something underneath is very angry and ready to break out. So i am unfortunately stuck in 4HI for now. I have searched for a few hours on the forum and found some good information, but i havent found anyone with this specific issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thank you all!!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I wouldn't drive around in 4 hi its a great way to make the situation worse. Sounds to me like the transfer case may need to be rebuilt, or a sensor isn't detecting or telling the transfer case to shift into the right position

Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeismadness
Well I wouldn't drive around in 4 hi its a great way to make the situation worse. Sounds to me like the transfer case may need to be rebuilt, or a sensor isn't detecting or telling the transfer case to shift into the right position
+1, could also be the solenoid that engages the t-case is bad.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would replace the transfer case shift motor, (that's what it is called).....

The range sensor and motor all a single piece. Don't do any more shifting until you replace it.

Quick Reply: AWD does not work, 4hi works fine?