1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Battery Drains and Idle Stall

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 PM
ZeWhiskyMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drains and Idle Stall

Hey i'm new to the forum Just wondering if anyone can help me with my problem as I need the use of The D.

Its a 2000, 5.2L engine with switchable 4x4,has 237k on her and no previous major accidents.

My problem is that The battery drains completely dead even after ive fully charged it within 2 days and the only way I can start The D is with a boost. Ive boosted it about 5 times now and apparently its a brand new battery. When I finally manage to get it started with a boost or comletely charged battery I cant let my foot off the gas for about 2 minutes or it will stall. The first time I charged my battery full it was fine and started no problem no stalls for 2 days then it drained. This morning I tried to start it and it cranks over and starts no problem but quickly dies even reving to 2000 rpm.

My power door locks also lock by themselves after about a minute and my driver side lock is stuck in a lock position now. Im pretty sure its a short caused by the locking mechanism thats causing all these problems.

Im going to try to reset the PCM as its had a new battery and alternator recently installed.The fuse for the power locks has been removed also and I cant put it back in because as soon as I connect the battery the alarm goes off and wont shut off, could this be caused by the short? the panic button is connected to the power lock buttons on my remote.

If anyone could help me with this or have had the same issues please reply

Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if the power door lock switch is stuck in the lock position that is likely the issue with the lock switch being stuck, i would simply unplug that lock switch and see if it still does it, if it does then i would look into the CTM being the problem as this is what controls the door lock/unlock features fromt he remote and the alarm (if equipped).

it could also be an internal short, however you need to figure out how much current is being drawn through the circuits, the one which has the abnormally high current draw is the one i would start testing on.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also just check that the battery Connections are tight and clean and maybe charge the battery up and have it tested, new dowsnt necessarily mean good

Quick Reply: Battery Drains and Idle Stall