1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango timing chain gasket help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
5basslimit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 durango timing chain gasket help!!!

HI thanks for looking i have a issue and need some help! I changed my water pump 8 months ago and today my durango started peeing a steady stream from behind the water pump, i have have searched and apperently it is more than likly the timing chaing gasket! i can see it spewing from the top left corner of my cover. What advice i am looking for is how do you get the crank pully off, and vibration dampner, as well as do i have to drop the oil pan to just replace this gasket(please say no). i have everything off to the water pump housing water pump i off, and wondering if there is any how to with pics or somone can give me some advice on the steps, It's a 98 5.2l

so lquestion recap

steps on how to remove the pully and dampner and timing cover off

and secondly do i have to remove the oil pan to replace this gasket?

it's for sure the culprit of the leak can see it plain as day peeing coolant from that spot.....i am at a loss and need advice.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

I've never tore apart that far on a D but I'm pretty sure u shouldn't hav coolant behind your timing chain cover.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM
5basslimit

It's not in the timing chain itself the coolant runs thru canals around the timing chain only oil in timing chain area. I have mine to ore down to the water pump housing/ timing chain cover!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

There are two coolant ports on the back of the timing cover. Yes you will need to remove the damper and the water pump too. When you did the water pump, did you hit the water pump down swing or a up swing? Because if you hit the pump on a downward swing toward the suspension. There only 4 lower bolts holding the timing cover to the block and will loosen the seals behine the cover and start leaking. If you did a upward swing toward the hood, then you will not break the seals.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM
5basslimit

Originally Posted by master tech
There are two coolant ports on the back of the timing cover. Yes you will need to remove the damper and the water pump too. When you did the water pump, did you hit the water pump down swing or a up swing? Because if you hit the pump on a downward swing toward the suspension. There only 4 lower bolts holding the timing cover to the block and will loosen the seals behine the cover and start leaking. If you did a upward swing toward the hood, then you will not break the seals.
Not really sure bout the upward or downward swing! I have it tore down to the cover itself! Removed the crankshaft pulley bolts but trying to find a step by step obstruction on how to get the cover off! Do I need to drop the oil pan to change out just the timing cover gasket?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes to the oil pan question. this may sound like a redirect ,but if you go to the dakota diy section it can lead you to EBSCO online library. that site has alot of info about alot of different cars. its on my favorites now.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech

I didn't know this, gues I learn something new everyday! :-)

Quick Reply: 98 durango timing chain gasket help!!!