1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
autoshh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my dad and I conferred (he's had Dodges since his 77 pick up, and nothing but Dodges) and he said it sounds like the remote start. I will also try switch the relays around (I had this idea earlier and wanted to ask if it'd work), and see what I get. Thanks hydra! I will update you guys tomorrow with any news.

If my relay and remote start aren't the issues... I'll go buy a new ignition switch (they're like $35) and if that's not it I'll return it and pick up wiring.

Also... anyone know the best way to get the damn remote start out? I had it unhooked earlier (just unhooked it's pos connection w/ my battery) but I have no idea how to remove it. It's factory installed and, in fact, my remote has the Chrysler wings imprinted on the back.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Originally Posted by adukart
You can say that about any electronic accessory factory or aftermarket though......
True, it just depends what you are willing to put up with. If the benefits outweigh the possible disadvantages for you then why not.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Never seen the install of the factory remote start, but I would think it would be a plug and play system, not a wire in system. Removal should be very easy in retrospect.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:25 PM
autoshh
Rookie

Thanks hydra. Haven't been able to get it out entirely but I did get it unhooked, and that doesn't seem to be my issue. Not entirely sure, though.

It ran fine on Friday and sat all weekend. Today I went to start it and as usual, the key returned no results. I also noticed my battery had drained back down to about 25%, but it wasn't used all weekend (though this may have been a result of my attempts at cranking it). I don't think it's my battery, and it's not the alternator (that was replaced back in 08).

I'm still thinking it's some type of wiring or issue with a connection to my starter (or possibly the ignition switch).

Since I'm stuck at this point I'll let it sit for a few days and see where to go next.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Did you try the ignition switch?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
autoshh
Rookie

I haven't yet.. but I'm considering it. It starts fine with the remote, just not with the key.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

That's why I think it's the switch. Doesn't the remote starter bypass the switch?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
autoshh
Rookie

That way my initial thought, though I'm not an expert by any means.

I mean, if it didn't, how else would it work? Either way, they both use the starter, so I knew it wasn't that.

I'm really not looking forward to replacing the switch though...

Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM
autoshh
Rookie

A question to anyone:

My battery has recently (it may have been since I first noted earlier) been low when I go to start the truck. When it goes off, the battery is at normal level, but when I turn to the "on" (before START) it looks low.

Could this be my battery? Or is it my ignition switch using battery trying to turn, but not turning?

Also, could my battery being low stop me from starting it? I'm running out of options...

Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

when you first shut the truck off the battery will read at the charing level(or pretty close since it is charging whenever the truck is running), when you first turn the truck on it will read a little bit lower than that because there is some load on it, so i would think wha tyou are seeing is normal, but without knowing the difference between the two readings it really is hard to tell

Quick Reply: '03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote