1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
autoshh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote

I've got an 03 SLT with the big boys only 5.9 in it. It's been running great for 9 years, the only problem I've ever had is the water pump decided to go up. It's got just over 104,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Back in 05 we had an automatic starter put in for the winter. It has always worked since then. My family bought the car new and it was given to me when I turned 16 (two years ago next week).

Anyways, to the problem. Last night I parked it in my driveway as usual, and this morning (it was a bit chilly) I hit the auto start. So I drove to school (I'm a senior in hs) and parked, like usual. I went to leave today and it wouldn't start. When I put the key in and move to "on" - the a/c, lights, etc work fine, and I can see my battery is NOT dead. As soon as I go to "start" everything stops, and nothing happens. I can hold it like that for a few minutes, still nothing. I decided to try my automatic start, and turns out that it works. Started right up. This wasn't a fluke either, I've done it 3 more times.

I checked all fuses (I was worried it was the starter fuse) and they are all good. I'm thinking there's a problem with my ignition switch, because the auto start is wired before it in the relay, which would explain why the auto start is working. If it isn't my ignition switch, any idea what it could be? Also, should I have replaced the ignition wiring (the repair manual says to do this at 90,000 - I didn't)?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would check for power before the ignition and after the ignition when the key is in the crank position and go from there.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
autoshh
Rookie

The power isn't the issue, once it's running it runs just like normal too. It's just getting it started that is the issue. I know it isn't the starter either since the auto start works still.

The battery meter's literally right at the halfway point both before and after cranking it.

EDIT: I tried this again just to be sure, and it still isn't starting. The odd thing is that it's not even cranking, and like I said before, with the auto start it starts up first shot every time. Thanks for the help adukart. Any idea where to go from here?

Last edited by autoshh; 04-11-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
autoshh
Rookie

Actually I'm getting numbers mixed up on the engine. Not that that changes my problem, but we used to have a 99 Electric Blue SLT that was the 5.9L... this one is Navy Blue and is the 4.7L SLT+

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be the starter relay, or something in the wiring. Possible ignition switch, but I would start tracing wires!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 PM
autoshh
Rookie

Thanks hydra! I will check prices for the wiring as it could probably be replaced even if that's not the issue, and I'll look into a new starter relay as well. Nice thing about the starters is not having to replace the whole thing!

Although my only question is: if it's the relay, why is my remote start still working? Does it bypass the relay? I didn't think it did...

Another note for anyone who knows anything: where the odometer is, when I went outside earlier instead of displaying my mileage, when I stopped cranking there was a "p DONE" displayed in the LED's there. Any idea what the heck that is?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM
autoshh
Rookie

Also, will there be any obvious signs when I pull out the relay if that's the issue?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a diagnostic on board ODBII read out.

Basically you can do a key dance when you have a check engine light and it will tell you what the problem is in P**** format. Yours did not log a code or finished logging the codes and then it simply states P done.

Because it is doing this I will assume that power is fluctuating because of a bad lead, I would assume it has something to do with your remote start as it is the only thing that is in line with the system. When the power fluctuates it is causing it to route around your key switch and is acting like you are actually turning the key physically when you are not.

I would completely remove the entire remote starter.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 PM
autoshh
Rookie

Alright. Still going to check the wiring/ relay/ ignition switch, unless you'd advise against it.

Thanks so much! If it is my remote start, is there any way a new one could be installed that wouldn't cause the same issue?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional

I used to have remote start on my Durango. I had it completely removed do to similar issues. It was constantly draining the battery for some reason amd it wouldn't start. Had it removed and never had the problem again....

Quick Reply: '03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote