1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
autoshh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ran into some money issues with a rental property of ours, so the D was put on the back burner for a few weeks (until next week or the week after) as money is tight.

The ignition switch is $35 and I'll install it myself, so hopefully things go well. I will update you guys with info soon.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 PM
autoshh
Rookie

Problem solved (sort of!)!

I replaced the ignition switch and it wasn't the problem. I decided it MUST be my automatic starter, and chose to take it to my mechanic to remove the auto start. This was in fact the issue!

Turns out, as he put it, "your computer is fried!"

I know many of the guys I talked to said to avoid these starters on anything Chrysler and I know why! I've got a big problem now!

Although I thought my window issues were separate, they were actually all connected! Once I had the automatic starter removed, the windows work just fine now.

Also, with a little ingenuity, an industrial doorbell, and some wires, I made myself a push-button start that works (for now). If anyone's interested I'll put up a wiring diagram/ instructions in case anyone's had similar issues.

This is actually entirely safe since I've got the chip in my key, as the D won't start with the wrong key (we've tried it). All you do is put the key in, turn it to "on" and "ring" the "doorbell"!

I am seriously considering a full push-button start in the future! Getting the key fobs for that figured out might be difficult though. If any other breakthroughs occur, I'll warn you guys!

tl;dr
The ignition is fixed with a "rigged" doorbell switch, and my power window issues are also resolved. All of it was a result of the automatic start... So stay away from those!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i hate to be that guy here, but we did tell you that was the most likely culprit pretty early on.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 PM
autoshh
Rookie

I think where we all got confused though was the fact that it still wouldn't start even after I disconnected it myself. I didn't actually take it out, but disconnecting it did nothing, so we all moved on to the next issue.

I only took it to the mech to have it removed because I wanted it completely gone. I can't just turn my key to start still, and there really was no way of telling that I'd need this button without replacing/ testing my ignition switch and wiring.

Quick Reply: '03 SLT won't start without automatic starter remote