1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need help with hood project

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with hood project

So I have a spare hood that is the same color as mine. It is just chilling in my storage shed. I was driving the other day and someone had a hood scoop and you could see that they cut a hole in the hood and had a carb filter sticking just above the hood. The scoop covered it but I thought, hey thats not half bad...

So besides the heat extracters that I was already going to put in, anyone think they can help with this?

I am just to cheap to buy a ram hood btw...

So I thought if I was to get one of the oval type carb filters that was say 3" tall, 4"wide, and 7" long I could cut the hood out and place the new filter on the TB and have it stick out of the hood some. Then I would just fab up a hood scoop myself and weld it on. It would be covered, and would pull waaay more cold air in. Plus I could keeep my hood now if I ever wanted to switch back for some reason.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Sounds like u want to do a shaker style. I think they look good and your probably gonna need some body filler to make the edges smooth an all that. If u decide to do it keep us updated with pics. Get an oil type filter still for best results

Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

Any idea on how to find one that will fit the tb? I know I will need to find a longer bolt to attatch it on the tb. I was just going to go K&N personally.
I am torn between bondoing the edges or welding the scoop on to a a plate like edge and using bolts with sealer under it. Just depends on what look I want to go with...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if you attach the scoop to the hood definitely weld it, bolts look tacky IMO,

a shaker hood does sound about like what you want and would probably be the easier way to go about this one, good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Yea the shaker hood is pretty close. But a new hood would be way more expensive compared to what I am doing with my spare hood. Plus I can custom make it to what I want it to look like.
I am gonna weld it now that I have gone over it. I thought mabey the tough bolted look would be nice but...it would be twice as hard to drill all the holes and then bolt it down, then make it water tight...when I can do it all in one step and weld it.
I should be getting to this shortly. But I am still having trouble finding a filter to fit. Would a basic carb filter mount fine or do the bases come in different sizes? Sorry I have never delt with carbs before...

Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Go to advance, and get an open element filter. Edelbrock makes em, and u can get a k&n to match it for more money

Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

Are the edelbrock's oiled?
I assume that the basic ones are going to be round...I think I found one that was oval at Shucks. I'll have to go back and check it out.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran

The filters in the Edelbrock system in guessing they are not oiled since its around $30. It's round too. You could get a k&n or spectre filter both oiled filter to replace the filter in the Edelbrock system. It would be really close to a shaker style system

Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

I do remember the sectre ones. They are a circle. I don't know if I want to go that big or if I should get one that is more of an oval.
I will have to take pics of the lines I have tapped out and see what you guy's think. My biggest challenge is going to be the actual cutting of the hood.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Don't forget the motor sits 2" to passenger side.

Quick Reply: Need help with hood project