1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Which shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If you are not having any problems with the transmission. Then i would replace the transmission filter and check the band adjustments.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How exactly do you check the bands? Ive read that people do it and tell others to but haven't owned many auto's(2 to be exact). Sure wish the D came with a 5 speed right about now...

Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll send you a pm later.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
aDinBaja
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The vehicle stated, you have a 5.2L engine!

So that said, you have a 44RE because you have a 5.2L, not the 5.9L engine which came with the 46RE, so and in fact you have a 5.2L engine because that is what you have stated in your profile. Because you have a 5.2l engine you have a 44RE transmission.

Well obviously you declare yourself "stupid" because you don't know what your talking about! You don't even know what goes with what?

You said and I quote:
Obviously you need to look back on what you said and correct the miss information. You are simply incorrect!
Well I guess that leaves ME as the Idiot and Stupid here being not RollerRed who said that....

Hydra first let me tell you that I admire your knowledge and what you say (mostly) HOWEVER I find your approach to this thread too harsh.

This post started with the Shift Kit question and if you read my first post I clearly said I do not have any experience with them... and mentioned what I´ve found and of which I´d like your opinion by the way if you would.

Then since he mentioned he might have a shop get it done I recommended what I thought would be usefull to know. If you find it wrong you could said so instead of calling idiot and stupid anyone. After all we in this forums are in search of knowledge/solutions and there´s no need in being disrespecfull at others. Am I right?

Now if you follow me here´s the point in what I said, and PLEASE correct me if I´m wrong...
Our trucks are 14 years old and I´ve heard a lot of cases in which someone gets a trans rebuilt just to find out later that it was a faulty TC and correct me if I´m wrong those are most of times the first thing to go besides the bands. Because of that and since he mentioned It would need belts adjusted as well as filter and oil change I though that being a TC not sooo expensive he might get it changed once they´re at it. If TC should fail in the next couple years he would spent the same money in a the TC PLUS new oil and filter Right? so he´s saving future expenses and has peace of mind. On top of that I just wanted him to be aware about the bad practice SOME shops do, and again please correct me if I said something not true. I´ve known and read about good transmissions gone bad after a "routine" oil change which in the end are costly too and wanted RollerRed or whoever reads this to avoid that.
Thanks for all of your good comments and Greetings from Cabo, Mexico!

Old 12-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Neil H
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After my 1st 5 years turning wrenches at AllTrans I can say that a shift kit can prolong the life of the transmission eh As I am witness to in several high mileage cases of our RV and Horse customers eh. this is directly to heavy load operation granted by reduction of the"smooth shift slip" at factory standards. Splitting hairs here I know, sorry but shift kits "can" increase trans life eh

Quick Reply: Which shift kit?