1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Who has the highest miles on their 1st generation Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 07:45 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

on my Durango... '01 4wd with the 360.... it had 214K on it when I got it 6 years ago. ran great, just up from the South so no rust.... still in great shape as it turned 260K... put all 4 ball joints on it the 3rd day I had it, they had been replaced prevuiosly but IDK what brand I took out, I went back with MOOG. hit a deer with it about 6-7 months after I got it in southern IL... pulled off the road into an Oreillys as they were closing, replaced the radiator in the parking lot and kept going... went to Houston that trip. Did me really good til it got past 250K, then started having misfire issues, at first was showing misfire but it really wasn't.... wound up being an internal computer issue. I went thru a lot to get at that point including (won't bore you with the whole list) but among the troubleshooting process trying to clear that up, I had the injectors rebuilt at a BOSCH authorized fuel injection place that wound up biting me in the azz.... shortly after getting the misfire cleared up, the bottom end started showing its age..... low oil pressure.
So I rebuilt the engine and the transmission together (because I had zero history on the trans from before I got it) and within 6 miles the fresh engine was toast, melted down a brand new cat because a couple of those injectors stuck wide open on me and washed the cylinders of their oil, the break in oil came out a slurry of silver on its 1st (and only) oil change before it got parked..... Add a stuck exhaust valve 0n #4 (brand spanking new EQ heads, go figure) discovered when I finally cooled down enough to dig into it nearly 3 years later.. sent those heads into the machine shop and found out that they had almost all the guide clearances too damn tight.... intakes too.... EQ may have helped me with a warranty claim but I screwed that up by letting it sit over a year before discovering that, so warranty expired before I got back into it.

I bought another engine from CL this past spring/summer, with a supposed 136K miles on it, put that engine on a stand, replaced all gaskets and freeze plugs and timing chain, then put those new (and now freshly gone thru) EQ heads onto this CL short block (still have the original heads off that engine sitting here for a project car I have going) and now so far so good... many many brand new parts taken off that rebuild and transferred over to the CL engine.
Since getting it going this 2nd time I replaced ALL the front end bushings with Energy Suspension incl sway bar, rack bushings, upper and lower control arm bushings and replaced the rear leafs with ATS "heavy duty" ones, 4 new Gabriel Ultra shocks, then had it aligned and put the tires mentioned in the above post onto it...… most recently found a better set of seats out of a 98 in the junkyard and swapped them in..... only the driver seat of the originals needs attention....
was gonna use the JY seats as "temporary" til I could send my original driver seat into an upholstery shop (seat bottom needs some repair and build up cushioning) but found out we like the JY seats better so we went back for the back seat out of same 98 Durango..... which must have had really low miles on it.
Body is still better than some 4-5 year old vehicles I see around here, hope to have til at least 400K on body. Still to do..... fix rear heat/AC mode door, charge AC, and put in my Auto Meter aux oil pressure gauge and tranny temp gauge. (already have those and an Auto Meter 2 gauge pod for the windshield pillar.....

Last edited by volaredon; 12-31-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:24 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Not a Durango but we all know it's the same drivetrain .....

Over 311,000 miles on the Dak. Nothing rebuilt and feels like it can easily do another 300K.
​​​​​​​

Old 01-04-2020, 09:13 PM
OPTIX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Rango my dude!

Old 01-04-2020, 09:18 PM
OPTIX

I wonder how many Engine/Transmissions it has had though?

Old 01-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTIX
I wonder how many Engine/Transmissions it has had though?
To whom are you referring? If to me, it is the original drivetrain it left the factory with.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:19 PM
Alec Gonzales

I have a 2000 Durango with a 4.7L 4WD, running 264,000. About to do a full tune up and get up to date with my fluids. I've replaced a list of parts but engine is running great and im having very minor slips with the transmission which I want to fix before it escalates. Other than that I love it and would love to get 500,000 out of it but ill be happy with 400,000!

Old 04-11-2020, 12:03 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running at 214k miles. On my 3rd 46re transmission. Just bad luck on these 46re's. first one gave out after warranty around 42k miles. Fastman rebuilt my transmission til it broke at the 200k mark. Rebuild back to normal tranny and hoping for another 100k miles if I still own this now 20+ years truck now.

Maybe having AWD drive train puts more load on the 64re vs the 2wd? The only surviving OEM user parts is my alternator. My power steering pump just went out a year ago. So for close to 20 years of owning this truck, most oem parts did not fail until after 2015.

I can say, the 5.9 motor still runs as if it was brand new. Does not use oil, does not smoke, Added performance upgrades to it over time.. If I plan to keep this truck for another few years, I want to upgrade the heads and cam, or jus thave 5.9 rebuilt with high performance in mind.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:22 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm still going at 204k on pretty much the entire stock drivetrain. The only major part I replaced was the transfer case, but not because it failed. I wanted the full time 4wd option so I swapped in a nv242 from a wrecked Durango on Craigslist. Trans, engine, diffs are all original. I do burn a quart of oil after ~2000 miles but I don't consider that awful for the mileage. Still runs great and shifts fine.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:22 PM
coogrrr

I have 3 Gen 1 Dodge Durangos.... no not insane nor an overt fan boy... the third one just happened into the family. She has a 2000 R/T 5.9 with about 180k - we have done work to replace front suspension only so far. Runs/Races like a champ!

I have "The Mistress" a Black on Black on Black 8 inch lifted 2001 R/T 5.9 with full engine work up custom interior custom lift ('69 Ford Bronco) 8 inch suspension only - no body lift (yet!), I have built a custom roof rack that holds 13 gallons of gas as well as covering the entire roof. Full light bars all four sides. it rolls on at 143k+ miles and she is still young and fresh!

Lastly the black sheep in the Durango family..... 2002 SLT 4.7 .... Rebuilt engine getting replaced shocks and brakes right now.... all stock though..... 243k+ miles and still drives like a champ! I suspect that drive by wire Transmission will be next to go tho.... but I might sell it before it does. Bought it from a friend in need right after the engine rebuild investment.... 1200 dollars! I have put ZERO dollars into it until the shocks and brakes now. 2 kids drove it and I drove it during some suspension work on the Mistress.... drives like a champ - smooth and nice!.... over 243 thousand miles!!!!

Old 07-26-2020, 03:11 AM
Rex Lincoln
Default Wisconsin

[QUOTE=coogrrr;3477862]I have 3 Gen 1 Dodge Durangos.... no not insane nor an overt fan boy... the third one just happened into the family. She has a 2000 R/T 5.9 with about 180k - we have done work to replace front suspension only so far. Runs/Races like a champ!

I have "The Mistress" a Black on Black on Black 8 inch lifted 2001 R/T 5.9 with full engine work up custom interior custom lift ('69 Ford Bronco) 8 inch suspension only - no body lift (yet!), I have built a custom roof rack that holds 13 gallons of gas as well as covering the entire roof. Full light bars all four sides. it rolls on at 143k+ miles and she is still young and fresh!

Lastly the black sheep in the Durango family..... 2002 SLT 4.7 .... Rebuilt engine getting replaced shocks and brakes right now.... all stock though..... 243k+ miles and still drives like a champ! I suspect that drive by wire Transmission will be next to go tho.... but I might sell it before it does. Bought it from a friend in need right after the engine rebuild investment.... 1200 dollars! I have put ZERO dollars into it until the shocks and brakes now. 2 kids drove it and I drove it during some suspension work on the Mistress.... drives like a champ - smooth and nice!.... over 243 thousand miles!!!![/QUOT
116,00, Wisconsin, runs well but looking to get rid of, if anyone is interested email at rexlincoln4444@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Who has the highest miles on their 1st generation Durango?