1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango R/T Rebuild *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 AM
ryan218
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango R/T Rebuild *PICS*

new to the forum and this is my project.

now a little to start. im new to dodge but ive always liked these durango R/T's. a buddy of mine works for a towing company. he impounded this. it was abandon in an industrial area after the engine started to tick. we were able to convince the registered owner to drive up from Kentucky to bring not only the keys to it. but a clear title. in the end i paid 800 bucks for it. then picked up a new 5.9 out of a 97 ram with 91k on it.

did i do good on picking it up for 800 bucks? im new to dodge but seemed fair to me.

Durango has 146k on it.

what are these truck normally worth in good shape? there is one just like mine for sale but in mint shape with 75k on it for 8,000 which i think is kinda high then one with 157k on it for 6,000 which still seems a little high to me or do these suv's hold there value pretty well in good shape?

its really not in that bad of shape. the worst being the motor and the rear 1/4 has some rust that needs fixed, hatch is shot and it needs tires. other then that its not bad. frame and under side of durango are very clear.

well here are some pics.

Name:  durangoRT.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  91.8 KB[/quote]

interior
Name:  4-1.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  3-2.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  32.1 KB
Name:  2-2.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  69.6 KB

in this picture you can see the hatch is pretty rusty but ill try and find a clean hatch for it.
Name:  1-2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  71.6 KB

and in this pic you can see the rust on the rear fender lip. ill get that fixed after i get it running too. tires have been aired up and hold air. but go flat in a few days

Name:  5-6.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  75.8 KB

finally got started on pulling the motor at 1 am. only worked on it for about 2 hours but made good progress with it.
still got to pull the starter off, bell housing bolts, tq converter bolts, power steering lines, fuel lines, motor mounts, manifolds, and motor mounts ect

Name:  dingo2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  dingo1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  39.4 KB

driver side valve cover off.

Name:  oilsludge.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  48.1 KB

and the new motor, out of a 97 ram with 91k on it. still have to tear it down and do new oil pump, rear main ect.

Name:  durangomotor.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  55.3 KB

well heres the problem. did this idling in the shop lol. we were listen to it run with the valve covers off to decided if we should just rebuild this motor or start over....the motor made its own decision on that one

Name:  brokenblock.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  48.6 KB

who needs an engine hoist when you have a tow truck?

Name:  engineliftmethod.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  47.4 KB

can you spot the problems?

on the top engine block pieces
middle bent to hell rod cap
and whats left of the bearing lol

Name:  whatsleft.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  33.6 KB

Now my biggest problem i have is the rod bent the hell out of the oil pan and i need a new one. and no parts store local to me has a oil pan or oil pump and pickup tube and screen in stock and wont be able to get one till mid this coming week so looks like it wont be in and running this weekend :sad: but in the meantime i guess i can get a new rear main seal in and swap the durangs lower intake and tb over to the ram motor and get the rams motor preps to drop in. ( get all the ram **** off of it )

Last edited by ryan218; 05-25-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
RiverH
Rookie

Yeah that's a pretty good deal! But there is quite a bit of rust on the rear hatch, some bondo and a repaint could fix that though, I bought my 02 Durango with the 4.7 with 94k on it for 7000 if that gives you an idea of what there worth. Keep us updated!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

that's really good deal. In good shape blue-book values are around 6 grand for R/Ts in good shape

Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional

I had rust in the EXACT same spots as you did but a little bondo ans sheet metal fixed that problem. I see you have a 2000 like me too. Nice rig I'm sure you'll be happy once your done

Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

these trucks hold value very well, especially lately, so if you can fix it up for a fair price (it seemsl ike you will be able to) you will have a nice truck worth more than you paid for it.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 PM
slims
Amateur

Looks like you have some work to do. Its gona be bad a$$ when its done.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your going to have to order a new pan or look in a junk yard. As for going to a Ram for intake and thinking your getting something well your wrong, they are the same parts, at least the intake system.

Replace the oil pump., screen, and pickup tube and ensure it's installed correctly because once installed the engine needs removed to fix issues regarding them.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:37 AM
ryan218

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Your going to have to order a new pan or look in a junk yard. As for going to a Ram for intake and thinking your getting something well your wrong, they are the same parts, at least the intake system.

Replace the oil pump., screen, and pickup tube and ensure it's installed correctly because once installed the engine needs removed to fix issues regarding them.

now inake wise what about injectors? they the same? i noticed on the durango there red and the rams injectors are black?

was wanting to get new motor in this weekend but after calling all the local parts stores no one has the pickup tube and screen or oil pump in stock :sad:

Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 AM
ryan218

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
these trucks hold value very well, especially lately, so if you can fix it up for a fair price (it seemsl ike you will be able to) you will have a nice truck worth more than you paid for it.

i only have 1,100 into it so far with the new motor.

after gaskets and seals and fulids ill have around 1,500 into it id think.

then some new tires. there done for.

found a hatch for it as well. complete and in black and in mint shape. no rust for 50 bucks. going to try and get that this weekend for it.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Red injectors are the newer style over the Black.

Also the Red injectors will flow slightly more fuel then the Black ones. Both injectors can be ran with the same programing. See one can switch out of the Black to the Red for slightly more flow without any issues, or backward as well. It's just the Red is better. Seeing that you have them out I would have them cleaned or it is possible to do it yourself.

One can use Throttle Body Cleaner in a spray can, with a syringe, a little hose, and a 4.5 Volt DC power adapter. There is some creative videos on www.youtube.com

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango R/T Rebuild *PICS*