1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Starter=P.I.T.A.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM
tank99Dango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter=P.I.T.A.

I am one of the noobs on this forum. I had a 98 Durango a few years back and like a dummy, I didn't join any forum. Less to say, I have become more mechanically inclined over the past few years, and I am not afraid to dive into a motor, or surrounding parts to figure out what the problem is. I bought my 99 Durango for $900, 4 days ago. Body is in good condition, the usual tailgate and front bumper rust. The intermediate steering shaft is shot, windshield is cracked(why is almost every craigslist "deal" sporting broken windshields?). I was told of the problems upfront, with one exception...the starter. I drove it home with no issues, drove it the next day to put newer tires on(Mastercraft Courser AT's with 75% tread installed $125..I say deal). The next day..turn the key..click click click. I hopped online to start the diagnosis process, came across this web forum, signed up instantly. Read hydra's "how to" on replacing the starter..THANK YOU by the way. I did find it less involved than the write up, but I did remove the steering shaft and pulled it out from the top. I took the starter to Advance Auto to have it tested, as well as the battery. I should have taken a pic of the starter..the top hole was wollered out, the bottom bolt was not even screwed in all the way, and the shim was laying in the skid plate I replaced the starter, hooked the battery back up...slow to crank..WTF??? I just happened to remember I had bought a battery cable for a Jeep I had..so I replaced the negative cable...fired right up. So now she runs..I think for a $900 investment, it's gonna make a great family ride..3 kids..and grandmy and grandpa can have their van back...

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a bad deal but, i personally stay away for CL.. to many times have i been promised things where mine, drive down and get there for them to say "sorry i sold it"

Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 PM
jmess
Veteran

That seems like it worked out pretty well in your favor. Just like when i bought my 98. Guy thought it needed a new motor. I stopped by to take a look, realized it was misfiring on 3 cylinders. Plugs were still factory, mind you it had 133k for miles. So i agreed with him and bought it for 1300. Spent around $80 on a full tune up and then she started like new.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

Yeah, the kid I bought it from was asking $1000 FIRM....I emailed him and offered $800..we met in the middle. He was pretty upfront with me for the most part about what he knew or was told about it. So far with him probably not knowing about the starter, so far everything has checked out. I too have been screwed on a couple of deals off of CL, but some how I have been able to recover my losses. Next things I will be doing to the D is, new drivers CV shaft and wheel bearing. CV boot has a small tear in it, and I'm getting a thumping noise from the drivers side front wheel area. If you are driving at 55 mph, and you have the steering wheel cocked to the right, no noise..if you move it past the slop in the steering(intermediate shaft is bad), you get a thumping sound. I initially thought it was the tires since they were pretty dry rotted, probably a busted belt..but after the new tires..still have the noise. It could also very well be the ball joints..upper ball joint boot is shredded, could be getting the noise when more pressure is applied to that side. I dunno...gonna go to the area take-a-part and see what I can find on friday..

Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

honestly you may have thought the starter was bad on one of these trucks, but i personally will NEVER complain about working on these trucks again after i spent yesterday afternoon under the hood of my sisters beetle, that thing is like working in a sardine can, makes everything on these trucks nice and easy . . .

Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tank99Dango
I did find it less involved than the write up, but I did remove the steering shaft and pulled it out from the top
Welcome to the board!

If you ever have to take the starter out again it's much easier to pull out the plastic body pins holding the plastic wheel well liner (driver's side of course) in and pull the starter out that way. That's how I've always done it and a new box of those body pins is only 2 or 3 bucks at autozone. Much easier that disconnecting the steering shaft.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
jmess
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
honestly you may have thought the starter was bad on one of these trucks, but i personally will NEVER complain about working on these trucks again after i spent yesterday afternoon under the hood of my sisters beetle, that thing is like working in a sardine can, makes everything on these trucks nice and easy . . .
Agreed. I have a friend who drives one and she is in love with it. But whenever it has the issues I find it sitting in my driveway. Horrible to work on

Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

my mom's cabrio isn't a whole lot better to work on. All you see when you open the hood is plastic to start with.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

I don't ever complain too much about working on cars. It falls under my quiet time category, same as mowing, X-Box, that kinda stuff. I do wish that I had a lift, and some air tools. I did however go and buy an impact driver..made taking that pinch bolt off the steering shaft a breeze..yes, I made sure I didn't booger up the threads, and it went back on smoothly with a ratchet and a couple long extensions. No one believes me that I paid what I paid...including tires and starter, I have $1150 in it. By the time it's all said and done, I will have about $1500-$2000. Gonna do exhaust soon, muffler has a hole in it, thinking cherry bomb and a stainless tip...

Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
my mom's cabrio isn't a whole lot better to work on. All you see when you open the hood is plastic to start with.
yup plastic cover over it all, fortunately the alternator (latest repair) is right on the front.

Quick Reply: Starter=P.I.T.A.